Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
July 14th 2006
Published: August 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop in Cambodia was in Siem Reap, home to the many temples of Angkor. We bought a three day pass to the temples and set out to do our best to see as many as possible. On day one we did the main temples, Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, they were very impressive.

We managed to fit quite a lot of temples in the next day, many of the smaller ones which were still great to see. On the last day we went to Banteay Srey, the most intricately carved one. Around some of the temples we saw wild monkeys and at Phnom Bakeng there were elephants carrying people up the hill.

After Siem Reap we flew to Phnom Penh, the capital, so we could learn about the atrocities the Cambodian people suffered in the seventies. We visited the Killing Fields and S21- the Genocide Museum. It was depressing. It is humbling that the people of Cambodia are so friendly and always smiling after what happened there.

We were very pleasantly surprised by Cambodia, it is a great place to visit. As of yet it is not overrun with tourists but that's only a matter of time...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb