Siam Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 22nd 2005
Published: February 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Cambodia crossing through the Thai border. This bus journey was a long one from Chian Mai, via Bangkok. The journey from the border to the Cambodian town of Siam Reap was a real bone-shaker! We were told we would be a nice coach with Air-con when infact we were on a stinky little mini-bus crammed full of people and bags and there were pot-holes everywhere. Luckily the guest house (moon-rise) was somwhere nice to recover.

The next day we had a much awaited lie-in and then headed off to see the temples of Angkor in the afternoon. We purchased a 3-day ticket which was well worth the $40 each as there is so much to explore. If you were really keen and wanted to see all the temples it would take a week but three days was just right for us. We did Angkor Thom on the first afternoon and the place is really awesome! (that's foe you Jord and Brit)! The temples are built in the jungle and comprises the old capital of Campodia from the 12th century. Some of the temples have and are being re-constructed to their original splendor. The whole area was huge
Bayon Bayon Bayon

There are 216 gargantuan faces watching over visitors. There is over 11,000 figures/ carvings here..
and was set in a really enchanting environment. Despite not having the beauty of the Taj it was nevertheless really spectacular especially when you think that most of it was built it the 12th century.

The second day we were feeling a bit more energetic and thought we could do with some long awaited excersize so we hired a couple of bikes and got some bits for a picnic and headed back for a day exploring a different area. It was a great way to explore as there was a breeze which was much needed as it felt much hotter in Cambodia than Thailand. We stayed until sunset and then headed home and chilled out in the Red Piano Restaurant which is in a lively part of the town and we treated ourselved to some cocktails.

Third day. Up really early to catch the sun-rise (5:30am)! We wanted to capture the sun-rise over Angkor Wat (Largest temple) and we sat down to wait and were busy chatting away and couldn't understand why lots have people had rushed forward and were taking photos as we could not see the sun. We moved our head and the sun was right in our face!

Overall we would definitely recommend the temples although we'd recommend getting a bus once you reach cambodia as you would know what kind of bus you would be getting and whatever the cambodians tell you at the border, US dollers are accepted everywhere!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Phimeanakas and a sheep!Phimeanakas and a sheep!
Phimeanakas and a sheep!

It seems mavis and twinkle follow us wherever we go. Baaaaa
Cindy on her bikeCindy on her bike
Cindy on her bike

In the background is the moat surrounding Angkor Wat
TA PROHM TA PROHM
TA PROHM

This is where Tomb Raider was filmed. This is a temple that has been left to the forces of nature. There are trees entwined all over TA PHROM. Pretty amazing to see.
Cindy outside Angkor WatCindy outside Angkor Wat
Cindy outside Angkor Wat

This is the largest temple and is massive. You can climb up almost to the top. Really steep and no hand-rails. Make sure get life insurance before attempting the climb!


18th July 2005

Great photos
13th November 2005

Very greatful and interesting pictures! Thank you!

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb