Ta Keo & Ta Phrom Temples 10/28/09


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 29th 2009
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=34tzHcWF27E]Ta Keo temple. This temple is very imposing. Massive blocks of unadorned stone. This might be one of the highest in Angkor. The steps are at about a 70 to 75 degree angle and only 4-6 inches wide. What a mother to climb but so worth it. You are about 70 feet up at the summit and can see over the Cambodian jungle. The temple was never finished and was intentionally undecorated. The climb was to prove your devotion. This was a Buddhist temple instead of the usual Hindu ones of Angkor.

Ta Phrom temple. Our absolute favorite. Surreal is really the only description. This is one the jungle still has a firm grip on. You may know it from the film Tomb Raider. They used Ta Phrom as a movie set because it's so creepy. It was also in the July 2009 National Geographic. Yeah, uh-huh, we were there also. Ta Phrom is so labyrinthine it is very easy to get lost if you do not have a good sense of direction. In fact, of all the temples, this is the only one you could truly get lost in. We will let the pics speak for themselves. Hopefully, it will let us upload a movie or two as well. The movies we took give a much better sense of the place than mere stills can tell. Seriously, this one is truly the best and is in the same state of decay as when the temples of Angkor, hidden by overgrown jungle, were found by explorers. You'll see lots of large strangler fig trees in the temple that have grown over and through the stones.

p.s. This travelblog won't support our Quicktime .mov files from the camera. Sorry, we'll just have to show video to you when we get home.

REVISED 10/31/09: Happy Halloween and now posting a video. Just click on the "filmstrip" below this text.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Ta Keo- summit (finally!)Ta Keo- summit (finally!)
Ta Keo- summit (finally!)

This thing was a bitch to climb! Extremely steep ascent in the blazing hot Cambodian sun.
Ta PhromTa Phrom
Ta Phrom

This is the photo in National Geographic which I loved so much and wanted my photo in the doorway. However, NG had the rope and the wooden boardwalk removed for the photo and I can't get my dream photo. Damn them!


30th October 2009

OMG So amazing
Rick and Tammy, it is like we are on vacation with you guys, thanks for the free ride! LOL, Amazing pictures. I can only imagine how it must be in real time. Awesome. I can't get over the massive trees that are growing all around it. WOW.
30th October 2009

Wow!!!
Hi Tammy, you did a great job in updating the info during your trip. Beautiful pictures of the temples in Cambodia.
1st November 2009

Great pix
I really enjoyed your blog and your pix! My friends and I are going to Siem Reap next year. We're trying to get as much information about how to travel and what to expect. I can't wait till next year! OMG!!! Loved ur pix!!! Thank you!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb