Angkor Wat- the most famous temple of all 10/28/09


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 28th 2009
Published: October 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Note: We will blog on each temple separate as there is waaaay too much for one blog.

Before I get started an Angkor Wat proper, let me give you a little background to put all this into perspective. The ancient city of Angkor is as large as New York City. Not Manhattan. The entire 5 boroughs of New York! It sits just north of the largest lake in all Asia, the Tonle Sap. Angkor Wat itself, is the largest religious complex on the entire Earth. Past or present. So, do you have an idea we ain't talkin' podunk here? We are talkin' the big kahuna of the planet. Top dog.

You never really get to see the entirety of Angkor Wat in photos. Too big. You usually just see the central temple complex. Which is still really, really big. We approached from the west side and walked across a long stone causeway across the moat that surrounds the central complex. Just passing through the second wall (the first one is outside the moat) we were blown away. It was along walk just to get to the first level. The hallways there are covered in finely carved bas-reliefs that go all the way around. You don't notice them at first because they are subtle. Then you realize they are all over the place. We're talking over a mile of carvings! Then we climbed up into the second level and got our first up close view of the five towered central section, the part you really notice from the distance. Unfortunately, renovation was being conducted on the main approach and we couldn't climb to the third and highest level and see over the walls to the surrounding jungle. Still, superimpressive. There are endless hallways in the walls and occasionally, you'll find a statue of Buddha that is wrapped in robes and has offerings in front of it. Angkor Wat was never out of use as an active temple in its many hundred year history and worshipers and monks are still there every day. Just to get from the start of the causeway to the temple and back was an hour and a half. And we were hoofing it. The pics should give you some idea of the majesty of this place. Its image is everywhere here in Siem Reap. Well that and the Bayon. The one with the faces all over it. But that's the next blog...

p.s. How many ways can you say "No, thank you"? We tried out all our different languages on the beggar kids and hundreds of hawkers. They are persistent and follow you everywhere (except the temples). If you say you're from America, the beggar kids (why aren't they in school?) rip off every little fact they've been taught to say about the U.S.. If you say Canada (which we did), they rip off facts about that. They are shrewd and relentless businessmen. Oh, and by the way, everything is in U.S. dollars. Brilliant and expensive!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Aspara dancer carvingAspara dancer carving
Aspara dancer carving

These carvings are all over temple and each one is different.
Staiway to 2nd level of templeStaiway to 2nd level of temple
Staiway to 2nd level of temple

Yes, we had to climb them.
View of 3rd level towersView of 3rd level towers
View of 3rd level towers

Under renovation so couldn't climb up.


29th October 2009

Awesome!!!
2nd December 2009

Thank you very much admiring my temple. I am Cambodian, I love Angkor Wat and I really want to say that "Come to visit Cambodia". "Cambodia, Kingdom of Wonder"

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb