Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Before I start, I promise no Angkor What? jokes.
Angkor Wat is the symbol of Cambodia. Even when the Khmer Rogue were in power and erasing the history of Cambodia to start from the year Zero, the Cambodian flag always had a picture of A.Wat. It is where all the tourists seek out to go. However I personally found it a bit disappointing. The scale of the site is magnificant and you can helped but be impressed by the history of the place. To me though it was nothing more than a big shed. Compared to the other temples like Angkor Thom and the Jungle temple it is a little bit bland. If it was the only ancient temple in Cambodia, I think I would have been more impressed.
I'm not saying that its not worth seeing. Me and Jessica got up early to see the sunrise one morning from behind the temple and that was worth the effort. Though if you do plan on doing this like hundreds do each day make sure to take a small torch as you have to make your way across the main bridge in the dark.
We also got the hot air ballon that was nearby to look down upon the temple. It only cost $15 each. The ballon however can only go so high as it is attched to a cable. The day we went it could only go 75m high due to some high winds at altitude. Angkor Wat is a must see, but see it first to truely appreciate it splendeur.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb