Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
September 10th 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our earliest start yet today, 4.30!!! We had decided that we wanted to get to the temples of Angkor early so we could see the sun rise over the Ankgor Wat. We had arranged the day before for a Tuk Tuk to take us there and drive us around the many temples to make sure we saw the best ones. We got a one day pass as we thought we would see enough in the one day and after seeing the main temples it might become a little tedious. Getting up that early in the morning was the first time i have been tired when outside since we have been away. We arrived at the temples just after 5, got our passes and then headed off to Angkor Wat, the biggest temple. Unfortunately it was a very cloudy day and the sunrise wasnt very spectacular. There was no colour in the sky, but it was still quite fascinating to see the silouette of the temple appear from darkness and then quickly see more and more detail as the light got brighter. We spent about an hour looking round the temple as it was so big.


From here we went on to see sevral other temples. I'm afraid i don't have the guide book with me right now so i can not tell you the names( we will add to this later) They varied in size and each had something different about it. There was one which had many steep stairs which you climbed to the top and very quickly you got very high because it was so steep. Climbing back down was very scary! There was another which had many trees with their roots grasping onto the rock and quite strangely they were just growing on top of the temple.(when we look back at the photos we will try write more but it is hard to remember distinguish between each temple!!)

We finished atthe temples around 1 after we had completed the 'small circuit'. We headed back to the guest house and had a nap which was well needed after the early start! After having some lunch we wandered round the markets, much the same as any other markets we have seen. All stalls again selling the same thing, this meant they were all desperate to sell so we got some good bargains!

In the evening we headed out and managed to find lots of bars and restaurants all of which looked really nice and the atmosphere was really good. We ate in Cambodian bbq which was down a quaint alley with lots of other lovely looking restaurants. here we had our own little bbq on the table where we cooked our own meat. We chose snake, which was apparently python and also crocodile. We were given rice, noodles and vegetables to go with it and it made a very tasty dinner! We then wandered through a few more shops and got some ie cream before heading back to bed.

Advertisement



14th September 2008

Bbq on table sounds fun. Don't fancy eating snake. I imagine it to be tough. We had crocodile at Carnivore in Jo'burg. I don't think I liked it much. Look forward to seeing more photos. Dad and I went to W. Wittering yesterday as sun shone for first time for ages. It was very pleasant. Not too bad today although a bit autumnal. Love Mum.
14th September 2008

reply
Yes i remember, they had options such as ostrich, kangaroo, goat as well. I had the crocodile because i remember it to be nice from carnivore and it was nice. I wasnt as keen on the snake, the meat was darker and a bit chewier! Glad you finally got some good weather!xx

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb