My most favorite ruins, Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
December 18th 2006
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Angkor Wat lives up to the hype. It has earned it's reputation as one of man's greatest architectural achievements. Of course the ruined temples themselves are supremely mysterious, with large trees overgrowing crumbling walls, now their only support. Most of the buddha's images on the temples have been stolen over time as they can fetch a hefty price in the world of the elite art collectors. And when its free to pilfer it's a wonder any images still remain. The complex of Angkor Wat is massive and takes days to cover. I was so overwhelmed, I stood around with my camera limply hanging around my neck. How am I supposed to convey the immensity and extreme detail through mere photos. Well, the truth is I couldn't. Instead I have included just a few photos to give you a taste. If you've seen images of Angkor then this is probably nothing new. If you haven't, it's something straight from Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider. Wonderful.

I stayed in Siem Reap, the city just outside Angkor Wat. I don't have much to report there. Angkor What? bar played great dance music and I got my happy feet moving on Halloween night in
Angkor monkAngkor monkAngkor monk

The colorful monk's robes were a beautiful contrast to the drab ruins. There are plenty of monks hanging around. Most likely they will chat you up just to practice their english. A great opportunity!
between games of pool. If you need a refuge from the craziness that is Cambodia, the heat, the dirt, you MUST go to The Blue Pumpkin. Upstairs is a crisp white interior with refreshing smoothies and sandwiches, even served with a cold towel to help you beat the heat. Well done Blue Pumpkin!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

AngkorAngkor
Angkor

Step on the wrong stone and the floor drops away into nothingness!
Angkor faceAngkor face
Angkor face

There are symbols and details to discover around every corner and through every doorway.
Angkor buddha-lessAngkor buddha-less
Angkor buddha-less

chisel marks replace the thousands of stolen buddha images.
Angkor doorwayAngkor doorway
Angkor doorway

The ruins of Angkor and the many other sites go on for ages.
Angkor sunsetAngkor sunset
Angkor sunset

This is about a 30 second exposure as people climb the ladder-like steps.
Angkor BeerAngkor Beer
Angkor Beer

Too drunk to remember where you are? The answer isn't at the bottom, it's right there on the side.


2nd January 2007

"Ankor Sunset"
Wow. Peter. Encore!! As they say in Alta...That pic is sick! Bravo.
13th January 2007

Father Neu- You have my eternal envy for getting to Angkr before the tourism boom turns it into a Disneyland experience. Well done!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0952s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb