shhh don't tell Nathalie I posted this!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East » Kampong Cham
January 15th 2011
Published: January 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

OMG! So the Mexican Jail is one thing but seriously! Had we been told about switching off the outside light, we would not have been faced with the mass of bugdom that presented itself the very instant we exited our little bug free zone. The pictures cannot show the millions of little critters! Thankfully, they don't bite!

Leaving bugfest and dragging all our gear outside to knock the critters off, we say hello to BBQ, who has been silently hoping for the dawn and the exodus of the bugs just like us!

Our stuff all staged outside, Bunna greats the day brushing bugs off his clothing as well! Laughs and shrugs about how many there were, it felt like sand under your feet, he wanders over to say hello to his bird....in an instant, none of us had noticed the open cage door, thanks to the local kids, BBQ took flight and was no longer in his cage and had left our team for good......

Certainly the bird wanted to be free and we all understood that. What we also knew was that it would not be long before he was caught and would be living up to his name and on someone's dinner plate.....it was a sad moment for us all.

Sorrows expressed, we still had a day to get through and we busied ourselves in getting ready and headed south along the river. Another day of 'work', something we'd not give up or exchange but at times it really is all about getting the day done...

We've not said too much about our daily routine but it goes something like this. Up at 5:30, cold ice coffee (thanks to Nescafe 3 in 1!), and on the run by 6:45. We normally break for noodles about 2 hours later but Mombo usually prompts a banana break about an hour in....

So true to form we have a very quick stop for beef noodle soup on the roadside, in full view of anyone happening along. As you know, Nat has been running on a bad ankle for the past 2 days and we take each moment as it comes along. Seeing she was in her 'quiet place' as we started out after noodles, I said 'do what you need to do and I will be right here, dropping in behind her to give her space on the single lane road we were sharing with all sort of transportation.

At some point not long into the run something happened. I'm not sure what it was or what Nat tapped into but the pace started to quicken, and then it got faster, then it got REALLY fast! For those of you who know us, we don't pretend to be fast but looking down at may watch, she was holding a pace on a very bad ankle, that we had only done in very rare speed work sessions. I continued to hang on, and that's what I was doing and for the next hour, Nathalie just hammered away the Kms...it's one thing to do that in a single run but this was our 7th marathon in a row and she was holing a 51 minute 10km pace! WTF!!! is all that I kept thinking. Finally, we had to take a water break and I just looked at her. “What?” is all she said.....in the end I know she paid for that hour but to be there and be a part of what she was going through and how she was choosing to deal with it, a wonderful gift for sure! Thanks mon petite bibit d'amore!

The day continued as each day does and soon the mileage was done for the day. The team had talked about trying to get more miles in to make the next day lighter but in the end we all knew we needed a recharge day. Lots of email and blogging to catch up on and a bit of shopping we'd wanted to do in Kampong Cham! So after checking in, cleaning up and such, we all headed to the market!

In the end, it was a very quiet time for us all. We split up from the guys and they both went their own ways for dinner and we headed to a restaurant next door where we could sit and relax and reflect on the last 7 days. It's been an amazing trip and there's more to come!!!! Hope you are all well!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



17th January 2011

you go, girl!
Love you, Nat. We're with you every step of the way. Zoe, Kiara & the fam.
17th January 2011

kimcote2001@yahoo.com
Ok! Like I would have died if it had been me with all of those bugs like really. You guys are awesome just seeing what you're doing is amazing. Loved the you tube video....keep them coming! Keep trekking you're almost there! Take care. K

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb