Rain, rain go away... And it did!


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
July 12th 2016
Published: July 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

After almost 30 hours of travel, we made it! Southeast Asia is such an amazing region of the world and so far Myanmar is just as lovely as the rest of the places we've visited. While I'm still a little bummed that we felt it necessary to cancel Bangladesh, I am so happy to be here!
On our first day, we explored Yangon on foot in the pouring rain, got lost, I fell down and we just had an all around good time.

On The second day in Yangon, we got lucky with weather. The sun actually came out for about an hour in the rain did not appear until around 1 PM. We took advantage oh this break in weather and went to the massive, stunning and very slippery Shwe Dagon Pagoda. In addition to seeing the ornate structures and many local people paying respects, I had the unique pleasure of using a squat toilet barefoot. Anyone who has used a squat toilet knows how neat that would have been. We made it back to our home before the downpour started and we watched and listened to the torrential downpour from our dry front porch.

The following day we headed out in the morning to the massive bus terminal, seriously must be a square mile of buses. We boarded our bus bound for Nyuang U and for the next 9 hours watched the lush green countryside, dotted with the tips of golden pagodas, roll by. We found a place to stay pretty quickly and headed out on foot to explore a little before dinner. Wow! This place is amazing!!! Pagodas and temples of all shapes and sizes and varying levels of ornamentation everywhere! Even more amazing was the following day, we rented bikes to be able to further explore the temples and pagodas of Bagan. The structures themselves, filled with golden Buddhas, were stunning, but even better were the views from higher levels in the temples looking out over the plains filled with these amazing, ornate structured everywhere! And the biking was pretty fun too. And to top it off, we spent the evening watching the sunset from the top of a pagoda - looking out over the Ayerwaddy River and endless temples and pagodas on the plains below.

Spent the day today visiting Mt. Popa, a series of temples built up the side of a steep hill. We climbed the 777 steps to the top along with the locals and tons of cheeky monkeys. Thanks to the monkeys the climb up was a bit stinky and our bare feet brown with... well it wasn't dirt. Aside from the monkey excrement, the views were lovely and it was a fun little excursion. We're spending the rest of the day hanging out in Nyaung U. Heading out tomorrow morning for Kalaw.

More to come. Also, I have not proof read this entry and have typed it on my phone so there are likely errors. Anyway enjoy!

Alyssa and Andrew


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



12th July 2016

Hello from California
Hi Alyssa and Andrew. I'm glad you are having such a good time. Great pictures and story. Sounds like an interesting adventure. Have fun and be safe!
13th July 2016

feast for the eyes
Fabulous photo gallery!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your adventures.

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb