Bangkok and Myanmar


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
May 6th 2016
Published: June 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

7th of May; Almost missed my flight in Barcelona because it was 2 hours earlier than I thought, managed to still make it in time and get through the airport on 20 mins with help from security. Couldn't check the bag in so had to throw my shampoo out but somehow I got a big bottle of sunscreen and aftersun with me, I guess they were stressing as much as me. Feel so lucky and blessed to make it, I was sure I was gonna miss it - I only realised when I was in the train which goes super slow and then I had to change terminal as well which takes 10-15 mins. I feel like the luckiest stupidest girl in the world! Quick transfer in Paris and then off to Bangkok. Air France was not as good standard as Quatar, Emirates and Thai Airways but still pretty good. On arrival in Bangkok I went to check out hotels but only to find that prices on our usual hotel had doubled over the last 2-4 years, so I turned to D&D which was a bit cheaper but still 1000 bath for one night. I could find something for around 300 if I didn't want a pool, but the heat was killing me this time, around 40-45 degrees and extreme humidity. Spent most morning at the pool trying to relax and sleep a bit. Then walked around the streets, got my bus booked for the airport next morning and some passport photos taken for my Laos visa later on. Then back to the pool and relax a bit before a super nice vegan curry meal and some juice. Oh yes and of course I drank a lot of lemon and orange juice which is better than anywhere else in the world. Early to bed, woke up a few times from the noise from Khao Sahn but other than that completely passed out.

8th of May; Breakfast at the hotel and off with the van to the airport. Met my friend Maren and her two friends at the airport and we luckily got seats together altough we didn't check in together. Short plane ride with a row completely to myself and then arrival in Mandalay. Exhanged some euros to kyat and off with a taxi to the city of Mandalay, the price for a taxi was 12.000 kyats for the four of us. Arrived at our hotel, 79 living hotel, super good standard and 15000 kyat per person per night. After some super tasty Burmese lunch the rest went for a nap and I walked around the city a bit. Found the river and the palace which was a super nice area with some wind so it wasn't unbareble to walk around. Found both hindu and buddhist temples and a church. Found some smaller roads and walked along the railroads where a lot of people where lived right along them and people where repairing old trains. Everyone seems super happy and are really friendly and helpul. Saw a lot more bicycles than I have seen in the rest of Asia. Very relaxed vibes and almost no tourists in sight. At night we had a drink at the rooftop bar which has a nice view over the city and you could see some lid up pagodas on the mountain. Walked around a bit, bought some nice fruits for snacks before going home again. Booked a car for a tour to the three ancient cities and sunset at U Pain bridge, 11.000 kyats per person for the whole day.

9th of May; Got up early for breakfast at the hotel before going on the tour. We started of by visiting several pagodas, at one point we stopped by a bridge and you could see the hills full of pagodas and local men working on loading the boats beneath us. Our driver Joe took us to a monastery as well where we could see the monks lining up to go for lunch and we saw their kitchen, dining room and everything. They have novices that are usually the youngest that wear a lighter monk suit and after 2-3 years you get the dark red one. Joe had been a monk three times already but max a week at the time. They only have breakfast and lunch, no dinner. All the food is donated by a family, each day a new one. Most of the young kids are orphans, maybe 70 % in total. When they eat they take of part off the suit so they have one bare shoulder and they chant before eating. They are not allowed to run or dance, only walking. The women monks were a light pink suit and are called nems. Other than that we saw the 45 buddhas pagoda which you can walk inside and there are 45 buddhas inside all lined up, the middle one has a throne. We also went to see a silk production which was still very old school, everything done by hand. We finished up going to U Bein bridge, a long bridge made of teak connecting the two sides of the river - to see the sunset. A very beautiful area, a lot of cows grasing underneath and ducks walking around in big herds, local fishermen standing in the water and sailing small wooden boats around. The U Bein village is a farmer and fisherman village. The sunset was super beautiful, changed colors every second. We had a beer on a small spot of grass in the middle of the walk on the bridge. We finished with a dinner close by the hotel, super delicious Burmese food and very very cheap. They had soy beans so very good for vegan food as well and lots of spice oils.

10th of May; We got up early again to catch the bus to Bagan - the water was too low for the boat ride unfortunately. Bus costs 10.000 kyats and takes around 4 hrs. When we arrived we just went to the very nice swimming pool to swim and relax, had some light lunch and juice. Later we went down to the restaurant and little garden by the lake where we watched the sunset. Super beautidul view. The hotel was a bit expensive but very nice and when you come in the May heat and is almost melting the pool is worth it. Its called Bagan Thande and located in old Bagan so in between all the pagodas. We walked to the Moon which is a vegetarian restaurant and was 20 mins away walking, the whole walk we would keep passing pagodas that were lit up in the dark. Very nice food and place and as always very cheap.

11th of May; We got up at 4:15 to make sure we could see the sunrise. We had two electric scooters for half a day with our rooms, we rented one extra for the day, a bit pricey - 15000 - and took the two others a full day too - 10000 kyats for the two so in total 25000. They were good to have though, in the heat you could finally get some wind on you which was very needed. We went to one pagoda where it seems most people get guided to. Climbed it and was rewarded with a very nice sunrise, at first it looked like it would be too cloudy but in the end the sun came out, super beautiful with all the pagodas spread all over the landscape. The reason for all the pagodas was that when Bagan was the capital, all families would try to build a pagoda. The big ones built buy the rich families and the smaller ones of less wealthy families. We headed back to the hotel and had a very nice breakfast. After this we went out for one more drive around the ruins, it turns out you have to buy a ticket for 25000 kyats to drive around the archeolgical area and you usually get stopped by a check point to buy the tickets when you arrive but we didn't so at one of the pagodas a woman all of the sudden wanted us to pay her 25000 - we first thought it to be a scam but later found out was not, oops. Some kids wanting to sell us postcards showed us a tiny staircase one of the old pagodas and we climbed up for a nice view. After driving around for a while we went back and relaxed by the pool - we had one free lunch at the hotel and then Marens birthday cake finally came and we celebrated her at lunch and then went back to the pool. We headed out to the pagodas again for a very nice sunset, again some local boys led the way to a pagoda where you could climb up and there was only one other couple except us. We had a birthday dinner for Maren at a local Burmese restaurant and a beer at the hotel before having to get up early the next day. Oh and also, this is a place where I recommend anyone to rent scooters - flat straight roads with almost no traffic.


12th of May; Got up to take the bus to Inle lake at 7 in the morning, this one takes 9 hours and costs 15000 kyats. With some better planning I recommend to take it overnight instead and arrive in the morning, that way you even save money from the hotels. Had lunch with a German girl who got off a bit before me to hike to the lake instead, a good idea if you have more time to go there, the landscape on the way in the bus was super beautiful. I finished a book I borrowed from Joyce called "what I was doing while you were breeding", so good! Recommend it to any girl out there travelling. Arrived in Inke Lake, had to pay 12500 in entrance. Super beautiful landscape, the lake surrounded by mountains, a bit fresher and cooler air. Found the others at the hotel and after a shower we went to a vineyard for wine tasting. It was not the best wine but the view was nice - would probably recommend skipping this part and spending more time by the lake and in the villages. Had some very good dinner at The Owl, good vegetarian and vegan options, super delicious and not too expensive. Went rollerskating with a mix of locals and tourists for 1000 kyats unlimited time however we got too sweaty very fast.

13th of May; Today we got up early to check out and get ready for a boat ride on the lake. Had breakfast at the hotel, the hotel was called Inle Star and was quite good, 21000 kyats per night. We found the boat guy the others had talked to before and he took us around most of the day for 22000 kyats but I think this can be done cheaper if you ask around. We saw silk and lotus weaving, hard working locals on the lake which is currently quite shallow because it is the driest season. It is super big and more than 500 villages surround it. We saw silversmiths and their products (almost every stop includes shops, beware). We saw longneck women weaving and heard that there were just 20 left in this area, although some migrated to Thailand near Chiang Mai. They wear the many rings around their necks to impress men, look more similar to the dragon they are believed to descent from and also protect from tiger bites in the neck. We had lunch and then continued on to see a small bamboo work shop, a boat workshop, cigar and cigarette production, floating gardens where they grow tomatoes on the lake on soil from the river that will last for 7 years a time and they go in small boats to pick the veggies. We passed some local fishermen on the way back that are very famous for their use of the legs when collecting the nets with the fish in them. The tour was very beautiful but I recommend trying to get away with not going to all their shops and see if you can stop in some villages to see more local life - definitely worth going around the lake. We showered at the hotel where we had our backpacks stored and then got ready for a 12 hour busride to Yangon, 23000 kyats. There is the cheaper bus for 18000 kyats as well.

14th of May; Arrived in Yangon early morning, took a taxi to the hostel in the center, very nice hostel, 10 dollars per person per night. They gave us breakfast and let us leave our bags there till check-in time. We went for a walk in Yangon, to the park, city hall and pagoda in the center. There are more people living here, mixed ethnicities and more western influence as well. We walked to the Bogyoke Aung Sun Market after but it was too hot to walk around so in the end we had lunch nearby and then went back to check-in at the hostel. We got our beds and then wanted to take a taxi for 3000 to the local swimming pool, but it was super dirty, there was even a little dead bird fetus in the water and just dirt everywhere. Our driver took us to a different pool next to the golden pagoda, entrance was 3000 kyat. Water was cleaner but still not the cleanest in the world. Enjoyed ourselves in the water for a while. Then went up to the golden pagoda. I waited outside with Joyce while the rest went in. There is a 8000 kyat entrance fee and they are very strict with clothing so make sure to be covered up. In the evening we had our last dinner and a few drinks at the tea house, very good food and drinks! After we wanted to go to 7th joint, the local reggae bar, but a new law had been proposed 2-3 days before to close all bars and clubs at 23 and in fear everyone closed open so no chance to explore Yangon nightlife this time. We had some beer and the hostel and then went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 130, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb