Up the Ayerwaddy without an ATM


Advertisement
Asia » Burma
July 28th 2013
Published: August 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Rudyard Kipling wrote many years ago, “This is Burma, It is quite unlike any place you know about”. With the lack of accurate information available today, we wished that he had of been a little less vague. Myanmar is changing rapidly and nearly anything you read may no longer be accurate. Usually reliable Lonely Planet was last updated in 2011 and is hopelessly outdated. Prices seem to have do... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




5th August 2013

Burma
Sorry to hear of your illness. Our last trips was tough as we both experienced food poisoning and Dave fell and hurt his back. It is tough traveling when you are not feeling well. Glad you are doing better. We loved our time in Burma. Bagan and Inle Lake were our favorites. We experienced 3 earthquakes in Mandalay.
6th August 2013

After your month in Bangkok...
you abandoned your longer stay practice. I recommended that you spend at least a month in Chiang Mai or Dalat or anywhere you were enjoying, but you wanted to see all of SE Asia like backpackers. Is there any chance that you will go back and do it the right way? Sorry about your illness...did you ever figure it out?
6th August 2013

Transportation changed everything
Hi Bob, Thanks for all the advice on the trip. Transportation was the issue we never figured out. To keep to our original idea of long stays we really needed something besides feet for transportation. With our limited travel area we found we had to stay shorter times in each place. Bangkok's easy transportation made that the only place we could move easily. We did end up pretty much doing a backpacker trip instead of our original plan. No telling when we will be back. SE Asia is an exotic and interesting area of the world for sure. We're leaving in a few days to our next adventure (not as exotic). I think we have other places to go before we return there probably. Thanks for being a loyal reader and for all the advice along the way!
6th August 2013

You made it!
Traveling sick is horrible. I remember having pneumonia in India once. It'll reduce the most die hard traveler to tears! I thoroughly enjoyed this blog (as always) and it makes me want to see Myanmar even more. In other photos I've seen of women there, they have that white-ish patch on their cheeks. What is that?
6th August 2013

Thanakha
is the name of the makeup they wear. It is made from sandalwood-like wood that is ground into a paste. It is used as a sunscreen and moisturizer mostly. Most of the women and children wear it always but many men also. It is kind of odd at first, but after a while you oddly find it quite attractive. Many people apply it in unique patterns and it is quite a fashion statement. I just started feeling better yesterday finally. We have been very lucky with health on our trip so far so I guess we were due to get sick. Too bad it was in such a lovely country!
7th August 2013

That explains everything...
I guess you learn as you go along. I'm looking forward to your next destination. If it's the US, and you happen by Colorado, and specifically Woodland Park (although I'm willing to go wherever you are nearby), please stop by for a visit.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb