Our final destination, Inle Lake


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
June 1st 2017
Published: April 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We reached our final destination on this trip Inle lake. After stranded for hours at the train station in Kalaw, we made it very late in Inle. Normally a three hours ride which departed in Kalaw at 1:15 pm but departure time change twice, so we stuck in train station for hours and there’s no food or drink vendors at the station and having our luggage in hand is not an option to walk away, so I asked my partner to stay with the luggage and I walk to the center to get some food and drinks. I was on time when I came back, we could buy the ticket. They only sell tickets 30 minutes before departure. Ticket price between Kalaw and Inle cost 1150 kyats in tourist class carriage. Trains in Myanmar are not very reliable, I found buses a lot better, as they’re respected their timetable. But is quite a short trip, we opt for the train. The slow train drives through the green landscape, so this is worth it, despite hours of waiting. It means we have hours of delaying in Kalaw we also arriving pretty late in Inle. When arriving at the station while we haven't get off the train yet someone came inside (pick-up driver) asking if we need a ride.

Fare to the center cost 10.000 kyats and can be shared with different people, but as there were no other people interested in a pick-up which normally can accommodate up to eight people, we hired him. Later on, I heard from our host said, the pick-up ride from the railway station is only 7000 kyats. Well, it was so late and I just want to get to the hotel quickly as I can, so I don't feel like negotiating with the driver. The ride to the center takes 25 minutes, but about halfway he stopped to an information booth where we required to pay the passes of 12.500 kyats per person, the passes are valid for 5 days in Inle. We booked our hotel in advance, and during check-in, the owner itself who helped us, ask if we're interested to join a boat trip to Sankar lake the next morning. He has a guest who would like to go to Sankar - a French couple with two children. The couple paid 65.000 for boat rental and we only have to pay a share of 20.000 kyats. Without a second thought, we said yes - I heard the excursion to Sankar is normally not a bargain because is very far. So we have a chance to see Sankar Lake for a bargain price.




To Sankar Lake



Our time agreement with the boatman is at 8.30 in the morning at the lobby, so after breakfast, we went down. We meet the French couple and their kids, lovely family. Our boatman came however, he speaks just a very little English. He took us to the dock which is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel. The walk brought us through the market and then we come to a house (his house?). The boat capacity is only for five people and we were with six including two small children. The youngest is seating on the lap of the father. The boat has no roof, it was so hot and is sometimes unbearable, but there were umbrellas available. Is a three- hour ride to Sankar, but we have some stopped along the way. There is an opportunity to see everything and that's going on in the lake. Inle lake is very busy in the morning hard to imagine how crowded this area, seeing this place overrun by tourist. But on our last stops, it is getting harder for our boatman. The month May is dry season in Inle Lake, the lake makes impossible to drive a motorboat, the water level is low at this time of year, but with helped by two men in the boat we get through it. We stuck a few times, the boatman can't see how low the water in the area, as this really covered in lotus plant. After swinging around the water avoiding to get stuck and controlled his boat engine we made it to the sideways and get out the boat and walk to the pagodas. The walk wasn't really easy as there were no walking paths, I see these areas aren't really touristy, visitors seldom coming this way -- not only Sankar is an expensive tour, also very, very far.




Our last day



We have two nights and two full days in Inle. As we have a night bus to Yangon, we still have a full day. We hire a boat and do Inle Lake tour. We request a late check-out and for 5000 kyats room charged we could leave our stuff and later when coming back from Inle Lake we still could take shower. I asked our host the night before that we would like to hire a boat. He immediately makes the phone call and he suggests us to join in groups to share the cost of 18.000 kyats, but we refuse to do that, we'd like to have a private tour so we can come back anytime we want. Our appointment with the boatmen is 8:00 o'clock, is the same boat company from yesterday, so we walk back to the same way through the market. Same as yesterday-- the beginning of the trip is good to see the daily life of local people in the water. In the morning is most crowded, so much traffic in the water, locals transporting goods to the mainland. I have the list of what to see in Inle Lake.



First stop is to photograph a Fishermen. When he saw us approaching he start to pose, which I called a tourist ripped-off. This man standing here waiting for a tourist boat. He expected a pay after taken a photo, no amount is named just give how much you want. I give 5000 kyats I see his face reaction that he wasn't happy with the amount, I have the feeling he's expecting more than that. Thereafter, we headed to tomato plantation, I rarely believe that kind of plant growing in the water, unbelievable to see what they cultured in the areas. Then we drove to silver handy craft. We normally didn't want to include the handicraft visit, but our boatman took us there without telling us first. So we went inside and I also need the bathroom.

Same as anywhere, they give a tour inside from the workplace to the shop, but I didn't buy anything. When we back down I showed the boatman the itinerary. I said to him no more handicrafts, except the silk weavers. Then we headed to the market in Ywama village. One of the crowdest place in the lake. Is a nice market to wander, so many local products and souvenirs to see. But we were a little too late some of them start clearing up, but still found our souvenir in one of the stalls.

From the market, the boatman said we're going to silk weaving, I'm more interested in this kind of handicraft. Then the next stop is the long neck. Personally, this wasn't the nicest place to see long neck people. When we arrived at the house we've seen two young girls sitting on the bench with a mini skirt and wear rings around their neck. I've seen better long neck in Thailand. In the house, they also make the paper umbrella. I thought they're competing for Japanese umbrella.

We continue our tour to Monastery, an old monastery, when we got there a bunch of monks just left we missed something, but we managed to walk around. Our last stop is the pagoda. A huge temple on the lake, it reminds me one in Mandalay. Beautiful from the outside and inside, but they're working during our visit. Coming out the pagoda it was only two o'clock and our tour is finished, we've done it quickly, it could be a lot longer if joined in groups. It was 3:00 pm when we get back in town, and from the boat station, we search for a restaurant before headed back to our hotel. Our bus departed to Yangon at 6 pm, I booked our ticket in advance with JJ Expres for a 19 US dollar. This is the best bus in Myanmar, maybe an expensive but the service onboard is pretty good and has comfortable seat with legroom better than an economy class plane. Is quite a long trip back to Yangoon 12 hours and our trip to Myanmar is finish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 27


Advertisement















Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb