Mandalay, so big and different


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
May 24th 2017
Published: April 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in the afternoon with minibus from Bagan after a 4 hour drive. We were so lucky the bus offered free pick-up and drop-off, the service of Moe Htun Express bus is pretty good. There isn't much buses between Bagan and Mandalay. That time, there were only two bus service between Bagan and Mandalay: OK Bus and Moe Htun Express. I booked the ticket on the day we arrived in Bagan in their office at the station- price is 9000 kyat. And I think any hotel in Bagan can arrange a bus ticket, I want to be secured that we can leave on the day we wanted, that's why I purchase our ticket in advance.



I find Mandalay a hectic city compare to Yangon, I always known that Yangon is a busy city, but here in Mandalay is likely worst. I booked our hotel in advance and maybe a coincidence that we were staying in a hotel with the same name that we had in Bagan, Hotel Yadanarbon - this is really in a good location with restaurants around and a short walk to train station in Mandalay.



We had three nights in Mandalay, our itinerary on the first day is to visit Sagaing, Inwa and Amarapura, the usual thing to do in Mandalay. Our plan on the third day is the city tour. The main problem in Mandalay, tourist spots are not easy to reach out without hiring a car. Our hotel arrange a transport they have private car, price 35$ for three cities and 30$ for a city tour -- a total price of 89.000 kyat. We didn't take the hotel offer yet, I want to find a taxi if we could get a lower price. Thus we went outside and looked for taxi and try negotiating the price for two days. Outside the hotel plenty of taxis parked, but we didn't take from there. We walk a little further and even without asking anyone the taxi drivers approaching us if we need a taxi.



Each driver we passed through seems pushy, I don't like that kind of driver we ignore some of them. While we're on the way to train station we meet a man on the side street ( taxi driver) politely asked if we need a taxi, I like this kind of driver (respectful). So I asked him the priced for two days if we hired him, he asked where we want to go, I said to him we want to do the usual tourist sights in Mandalay and he knows exactly what we want to do. It takes a while before he answer ( he's thinking) then suddenly he said 80.000 kyat - I said to him that's expensive. I negotiate to my price 70.000 kyat - I said to him think about it, and we continue walk to train station. When returning from the station he said to us okay, I agree with the price. So we give him our hotel name and room number and pick-up time 9:00 am, he want to give his cellphone number, but I said we don't use our phone in Myanmar just be at the hotel in the morning.




The second day




Our appointment with the taxi is at 9:00 am, we were already downstairs and waited in the lobby, we sitted down there for more than 15 minutes when I check my watch it was 9:10 am already and the taxi didn't showed up, so we went outside maybe he is waited there but no. I start to doubt that he's not coming, so our plan is to search another taxi and suddenly he came with a big smile and apologize for being late. As he looked like a good man we forgive him.

Before we left, he asked what we'd like to do first, we have a city map and pointing him the things we want to do. But he suggested we have to see the monks ceremony meal, this happen every morning in Mandalay, so we agreed with his suggestion. As it's still early he suggested to drive us in U-Bein bridge, this is not far from the monastery. He drop off us at the parking and let us walk around there for about 30 minutes. Thereafter we drove to monastery - amazing to see, there'll probably thousands of monks in all age carrying their pots and line up for food. This is a daily occasion in Mandalay an mostly include in the city tours. Exactly 10:15 the bells go, the monks slowly walked inside to get their food - a unique experience and to witness the occasion.



After watched the ceremony we walk back to the car and headed to Sagaing Hill, a temple situated on top. We drove through a narrow road happily we don't have to go on foot, the car made it to the top slowly. Is free admission, we took our time to see around is such a beautiful place. By the time we go back down, it was already lunch time. We asked him to take us in a restaurant and he drove to a good place and had our lunch together. After lunch we ask him to drive to a pagoda, we've seen a nice pagoda on our way to restaurant and we'd like to see inside, so he drove us there but we didn't stay long we just took some shots inside.



Afterwards he drive to Inwa, he explain to us what we should do there and how to get around. He said, we have to take the boat first to cross the river and the other side of the river there will be a horse drawn waited, is not mandatory to take the horse drawn, but he said if we want to see the usual tourist sights in Inwa is best to take one. He mentioned the price of 10.000 kyat for horse drawn but he wasn't sure. Thus he drop off us by the river and we took the small boat and pay 1500 kyat for return ticket. When we reach the other side of the river, we saw the horse drawn and approach a man and asked for the price, exactly the same price as our taxi driver said 10.000 kyat. We step in to his horse and he say something to us but we didn't understand, the man can't speak English. According to what we heard the tour starts from the furthest sights.



He first took us to an old monastery - when entering the monastery a lady asked our ticket I said to her which ticket is that? she said the zone ticket I said to her to we don't have that. So, we bought a ticket and she explains -- zone ticket cost 10.000 kyat - with the ticket we can access to most temples in Mandalay without paying entrance.

We spent a few minutes inside the monastery, however, the monastery isn't really worthwhile. Then we headed to little Bagan, as we've been to Bagan already we said to him we skipped that one, he's laughing when we told him that we been to Bagan, he said ah Bagan is nice. Then he took us to another monastery, a massive building but nothing to see inside except an empty space. The last stop is the watch tower, but we didn't feel climbing the tower when I see a narrow steps to go up I said no way, we just walk around the bottom and saw a small shop we seat down there for a while and bought some drinks. After 20 minutes we headed back to the riverside and took the boat and back to where our taxi waited.

Afterwards, we headed to Amarapura to watch the sunset . We've been in the place this morning for a quick stroll, now we will have more time. Our driver drop off us at the parking lot, we hadn't said a time when we're coming back, so I think he got the message when is the sunset done. We cross U-Bein bridge, the long walk took us to the other side of the river. The sunset starts showed up at 17:45 pm, we're too still early. There are stalls down the bridge with plastic table and chairs, we grab a chair and ordered drinks while waited for sunset. I am a bad photographer, capturing sunset or whatsoever I'm no good. Once the sunset is done, seems everyone walking back to the same place crossing the bridge and back to the parking. Our driver asked how is the sunset, I said to him is nice. Our day is filled and is an instructive day, especially we have a knowledgeable driver/guide.



Third day



Our pick up time 9.30 am not too early. Our plan for the day is the city tour. After breakfast we go down and our driver was there already I see a big smile on his face. Yesterday I pay him 30%!o(MISSING)f the agreed price, so today I have to give the remaining amount he deserves it and he also delivered a good job. We have our city map we pointed things we want to see. We first drove to Golden Palace, going inside all vehicles need a permit which are available inside. Then, he drove to the parking lot, pointed us the counter we must
get our visitor ID and register. There is an admission fee of 10.000 kyat, but if you have a ticket zone of Mandalay show your ticket at the counter and they put a stamp.



When entering the Palace, first thing I saw is the impressive building -- going inside same as many temples and palaces in Myanmar, leave your shoe outside. I wear most of the time a slipper, easy and fast to remove if you in and out of temples. After seen the first palace we walk outside and saw the tower. We climbed to a spiral stairs, maybe takes the effort but really is worth it. On top we have a good views the roof and the surroundings of the palace. Going back down the tower, we headed to the museum where objects are displayed. The Golden Palace is a must see while in Mandalay.



Then we headed to Mandalay Hill. This temple is visible from a distance, unbelievable to see how beautiful this temple inside. A bling - bling everywhere, one of the nicest temple I've ever seen in Myanmar. Can't get enough to expressed myself, so beautiful inside. The panoramic
view of the plains are fantastic!. By the way, the zone ticket is not valid here. The admission fee is only 1000 kyat, very cheap and really worth of the entrance fee. Same as any other temples in Myanmar, inside is full of souvenir shops. But it didn't disturb me anymore after seen stalls everywhere and they all sell the same stuff.



This is one of my favourite temple in Myanmar-- a very special place. It maybe not easy to get there without a private transport, hiring a car is worth every penny. When we come out of Mandalay Hill, it was lunch time already. We asked our driver to bring us in a good restaurant and he drove to Koffee Korner, he said is a nice place with air condition, so he dropped us in front of restaurant and he said I'll come back in an hour. I said to him joined with us, but he refused he said I live nearby I'm going to check my son he's home alone. Is quite busy inside the restaurant, we waited longer for our order. Almost 2:00 pm when we got out and our driver was there already. The distance of tourist sites in Mandalay are close to each other. Mandalay hill is exceptional, this is situated outside the city center.



From the restaurant we headed to a few temples which I can't recall all the names, we've seen enough pagodas that day. But before the day ends, we wanted to see the riverside in Mandalay, I read some reviews about the area and I really want to see it. So we asked him to drive there. We walk around, this is apparently not a bad area maybe not a popular place for tourist but I liked it. Ferry boats coming and departing from this river, it maybe not a safe feeling walking at night, but in day time is no problem. Some local people living on the street with tents. Then, we drove further along the riverside and we passed the slums area in Mandalay. Our driver said he never been in the place. He told us that it is not safe for visitors alone here -- even for Burmese people is not safe to walk here at night. There is so much going in there, drugs is the main problem, so is not
a good place to wander alone. Our days in Mandalay was very interesting and I'm impressed after discovering the city. As I mentioned earlier in this blog, having a car is the easiest way of getting around not maybe the cheapest way. But the price of a taxi is worthwhile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 30


Advertisement





Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb