Ngwe Saung, Myanmar


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
May 18th 2017
Published: March 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

From Yangon we travel to Ngwe Saung, is a 6 - 7 hour by bus with Asia Dragon Express Bus. When doing my research looking for the nicest beach in Myanmar I came to different locations, but I choose Ngwe Saung as this is recommended by everyone and also closer to Yangon. We took the night bus departed in Yangon at 9:00 pm.



There is no bus station in Yangon to Ngwe Saung. We were drop off by a taxi at the back of train station. I arranged the bus ticket in advance through our hotel in Yangon - this is highly recommended to book a bus ticket in advance either go to bus website or ask your hotel in Yangon to reserved for you. No ticket for sale on the bus - the seats are reserved for passengers with ticket. Ticket price to Ngwe Saung cost 18.000 kyat go and back.



When boarding the bus in Yangon the driver asked which hotel we're staying in Ngwe Saung, hotel drop off included in the ticket price. So is better to book a hotel beforehand if taking the night bus. We arrived in Ngwe Saung at 4:00 am in the morning, was still dark of course, I don't like arriving in the middle of nowhere at night, with help of resort security guard the one taking care of our luggage and accompanying us to hotel reception.



It wasn't a time for check in yet. The hotel clerk who's on duty that night is very friendly and good in English, he explained us we could choose to wait our room at 10:00 am or pay 50% of the room price and we could go to our room and sleep and had breakfast in the morning. Without any doubts we pay the room charge I don't want to wait in the lobby till in the morning, there are lot of mosquitos.



We booked two nights at Eskala resort, this is a pricey hotel but the nicest thing at this resort they accept credit cards, however there's a 3% charged on the credit card. Breakfast is included the room price and this hotel equipped with restaurant as well, but no mandatory to stay for dinner. We walk to the center of Ngwe Saung where we found some cheap restaurants, maybe is a quite a walk from the resort but worth to do so. But on our last night we dine at the resort - they have choices of local and international food prices are only in US dollars, but still is reasonable compare to European standard price. On our first day at the resort were just lazing. Apparently, the beach holiday was on the last plan after our trip in Myanmar, but our trip ends in June and was not a good idea to come here as the monsoon starts, so we inserted Ngwe Saung on the itinerary



Visiting the elephant camp on the next day




Is supposed a relaxing day, but is something we don't want to missed while in the area. After one day in the resort we're kind of bored. I heard about the elephant camp not far from where we are, so I ask an information at the hotel reception about the camp, they recommend to hire a private transport: a car cost 35.000 kyat while a motorbike cost 10.000. The elephant camp is 30 minutes drive, so we opt for motobike. Our appointment with motorbike drivers is at 9:00 am, thus after our breakfast they were there already. It was very hot day and sitting behind the motorbike is not so comfortable. The first part of the ride was okey on a paved road and suddenly the road change to a bumpy ride, is awful.



I really want to get off that motorbike, but I hang on (choosing the cheaper option). The motorbike is of course slower than a car and uncomfortable but is cheap. As I thought the drive is 30 minute but took us 45 minutes drive. The elephant camp is not easy to find if you're not familiar in the area, the sign board is only in Burmese, if you read Burmese is fine for you. So is not recommended to get there alone without local companion. When we arrived in the camp there was a man I don't know if he's the owner or responsible for the camp, but he is the one collecting the money. Visiting this place is not really cheap - as we wanted to see the elephants we give it a shot and didn't care of the money for once :-).



To watch the elephants cost 5$ US dollar. For the price you can touch or stroke them as long as you can. You can also feed the elephants with sugar cane - food price is 1000 kyat for a basket. While were in the camp we're doubting of going for a walk with elephant, as it was ages since our last ride with elephant in Thailand. Thus, we request to go for a ride, but the ride is very short of 10 minutes only and cost 10$ each, isn't worth of the price but we've done it. We spend some money on a short visit in the elephant camp. By noon we're back in the hotel. Our last day in Ngwe Saung, we will enjoying this day as we're not going to see a beach on this trip. Soak the rest of the day on the pool, as there weren't much people staying in the resort we had the pool to ourselves.







Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement




Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb