Yangon: Myanmar's beautiful old capital


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region
February 6th 2015
Published: February 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Yangon


The jewel of Southeast Asia, Yangon has been out of the world for decades, but is now rapidly entering into the global tourist map. The unique blend of fascinating Buddhist temples and majestic British colonial architecture makes it a superior destination. If we add to that its location on several rivers, the proximity of underdeveloped beaches and a large number of well kept green areas all around, this city has all one could possibly ask for! And since it has just started awakening, it is the perfect moment to visit and get a direct view of how Asia once was.

Urbanism

Yangon is one of the best examples of a garden city. The city center has a perfect orthogonal street grid, with elegant buildings and beautiful temples, while the periphery is dominated by green areas dotted with buildings. The city lies on several rivers: Yangon, Bago, Hlaing and the Pazundaung canal and includes several lakes like Kandawgyi and Inya. The city center distinguishes itself due to its density and the beauty of its architecture. It begins at Bo Gyoke road in the north, and spreads all the way to the three rivers (except for Bago). It is the only big city in Southeast Asia that has a proper center with a Main Square, on the crossroad of Maha Bandula and Sule Pagoda road. Several important buildings are located there.

You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/guide-yangon-myanmar-the-end-of-strife/


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb