Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar (Burma)


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region
February 26th 2014
Published: February 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I met up with my friend Michelle in Kuala Lumpur Airport at the gate for the flight to Yangon (Rangoon). Michelle had just flown in from London. The time in Myanmar (Burma) is one and a half hours behind Malaysia so Michelle was not the only one going to be slightly in the wrong time zone. Amazingly, despite having booked separately, Michelle and I were sitting one behind the other on the very crowded plane and our bags were side by side on the carousel at Yangon even though Michelle's bag had been checked all the way from London!



In Yangon we met up with the other 12 people on our trip which is organised by Explore, who are based in the UK. We are doing the two week Burma Highlights trip although another group who arrived at the same time are doing the three week tour.



Sung San Suu Kyi gave her blessing to the return of tourism in November 2010 which marked the end of the tourism boycott which started in 1995.



Before the evening trip briefing Michelle and I walked around the local area eventually making our way to the waterfront on the Yangon River where we watched little boats ferrying people about. It was very hot and sunny so most of the ladies in the boats sheltered from the sun under umbrellas. The pavements in the area near the hotel, Panda Hotel, were non existent and had it been wet it would have really been unpleasant. As it is you have to watch every step to avoid rubbish and pot holes and open drains. We visited a little supermarket and were amazed how cheap everything was. I had topped up with a few toiletries before leaving Malaysia but wish I had waited until Burma as it is about a third of the price.



They dive on the right in Myanmar but have right hand drive cars. This is because all their cars are imported from Japan who drive on the left. Apparently Myanmar drove on the left until 1962 when they changed sides - that must have been fun!! Motorcycles are banned in Yangon - no idea why.



Our guide has told us that Burmese people do not have surnames and that you can tell what day of the week people were born on by the name they have been given.



On our first morning in Yangon we started by visiting the magnificent Shwedagon Pagoda whose 90 metre tall stupa is covered in gold leaf and the top has thousands of jewels including a 74 carat diamond. There were many local people and Budist monks there making offerings. Michelle and I both bought hats to protect ourselves from the fierce sun, Michelle because she had forgotten hers and me be sure I wanted something with a wide brim. Although I've been away for ages I had until now managed to hid under trees etc, no jungle here.



We walked around the city centre where there are the most magnificent Victorian and 1930s buildings, now decaying after years of neglect. Many of the huge government buildings now lie empty and are falling into disrepair since the capital was moved from Yangon to a new town almost 10 years ago.



We also made a stop at Chaukhtatgi Paya to view the world's biggest reclining Buddha at 70 metres long. Due to damage from the elements and birds a shed has been built around it so it is rather strange as you feel you are viewing something in a warehouse.



Next it was of to the airport for a one hour flight to Heho on Yangon Airways - don't ask - which is 300 miles north of Yangon. This area is much higher so a lovely temperature and not humid. We then drove for about an hour on a tarmac but bumpy road to Nyaung Shwe Township near Inle Lake where we checked into the Hu Pin Hotel where we shall be for the next three nights.



Michelle and I just had time for a quick walk about before dinner and my first impressions are very good. It is a bit like a frontier town. Low rise buildings and wide streets. much quieter and most people on bicycles and the most amazing tractor type vehicles for transport.



WiFi in Burma is proving tricky so not sure how the blog will go now. Might have to finish it when I get home! Watch this space!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

street foodstreet food
street food

No way!!
Reclining BuddhaReclining Buddha
Reclining Buddha

Chaukhtatgyi Paya


27th February 2014

What an amazing trip. You must write a book! You have already done most of the work! Safe journey to both of you - Make the most of the sunshine and warm weather, we haven\'t got any yet! R

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb