Burma's Beauty & Brilliance


Advertisement
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region
November 7th 2012
Published: November 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This latest entry requires that we first set the scene for you. It is October of 2007 and we are standing in our hotel room in Kuala Lumpur with backpacks all but ready to head downstairs to jump into a cab to take us to the airport. For the past few days there had been unrest and rumblings in Myanmar. Rising petrol prices and general unrest was afoot. The night before on the television we see sma... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Dead batteryDead battery
Dead battery

...we are hopeful
New highway!New highway!
New highway!

most people don't want to pay the toll
Decorative flowers on highwayDecorative flowers on highway
Decorative flowers on highway

only in the new capital city
Heating the tarHeating the tar
Heating the tar

road repair on old roads
Smiling faces Smiling faces
Smiling faces

loving the camera
Marble tilesMarble tiles
Marble tiles

surrounding the pagoda
Duck for lunchDuck for lunch
Duck for lunch

maybe yes, maybe no
HtunHtun
Htun

our Burmese guide



18th November 2012

Burma
Really enjoyed your blog, even more than usual since we will be in Burma in February. Everything I've heard about Burma is good and judging from you comments you agree. Your photos are great and reflect the flavor of the country. Can't wait for your next offering.
18th November 2012

Burma in February
We knew you were heading that way soon and you will love it. Burma is raw and unspoiled. It is special because it has not been over run by tourist yet. The people really want to learn how to make a success of things. Inle Lake and Bagan were my favorites and very special places. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
18th November 2012

Ohh....so tempting....
Myanmar is one of those places that I have always wanted to visit. I have no excuse really, living so close to this travellers paradise as I do. But the one thing that has now really swung it for me, is that they drive on the correct side of the road......Deep resounding joy ;) Dave, please give us some feedback on the Burmese beer....that kind of knowledge is crucial before I start booking tickets and making plans :)
19th November 2012

Burmese Beer
The brew found in Burma is your basic lager. They sell the famous Tiger of course, but also have Myanmar Beer and Dagon. I always prefer the 550ml bottles. As of now, they are quite reasonably priced at about 3 to 3.50 USD each. Hope this assists your travel making plans.....Dave.
18th November 2012

At last!
I've been waiting for this entry with bated breath. Glad to see y'all are all right and that you have some company in your travels. Pictures are spectacular as always. Can't wait for part deux.
18th November 2012

Myanmar has intermittent internet
Every place we stayed said they had internet. Ha! They may have had it but it rarely worked. When it did work it could be for only a few minutes before it went down. It was impossible to download photos. The government or someone....blocks many web sites. A lovely country but we are happy to be back in civilization.
18th November 2012

Great pictures!
Wow, I am following along with your travels and enjoying it all! Can't wait to see what is next. MM
18th November 2012

Burma was beautiful
We have longed to see Burma as we knew it lacked tourist. It is a special place of raw and unspoiled beauty.
18th November 2012

Sounds Like a Great Place
We have also planned for a long time to visit but wanted to wait until the regime calmed down a little. It looks like a beautiful country and the things our Burmese friends tell us about their country are borne out by your post.
18th November 2012

Things are calm now and I would go soon.
Burma is raw and unspoiled at this point. A few tourist but not many. We recommend you go in the next year or so if you can. Not that we think they can build an infrastructure quickly but you never know. They have plenty of people to do the work and are eager to earn a better way of life. Everyone was so wonderful. You would enjoy this country.
19th November 2012

very tempting...
the food looks better here :)
19th November 2012

Yes, we had some good food
Burma has a variety of influence from neighboring nations so you can find me things you will love to try.
19th November 2012

You two were the best travel partners I ever hit the road with! This was definitely an \'off the beaten path\' adventure. The only thing you missed in Yangon by leaving a day before me was watching me fall in the 2\' deep hole next to Sharky\'s while looking for the hospital to buy more Cipro. You also missed watching Air Force 1 land on the tarmac in Yangon and see Obama walk down the steps and red carpet shaking hands with dignitaries.
19th November 2012

Very, very cool that you got to see Obama land!
As much as we would have enjoyed that we were ready to get to KL. Glad you made the trip to Burma with us. We had a great time. Looking forward to your next blog.
19th November 2012

such beauty
love all the colors! I guess you missed the President's visit?
19th November 2012

Hello Lydia,
Yes, we asked him to arrive after we left so we would not need to deal with all the commotion. Ha ha. All is well.
19th November 2012

Hello from Cow town
I was wondering when I was going to see another blog from you two, and where it was going to be from. Good to see you two are still moving forward. Its Thanksgiving week here (in case you forgot) so we are expecting a house-full of family and friends. Frying four turkeys on Friday (we do friday because it allows others to celebrate with extended families on Thursday, and we don't care what day we eat). The Bucks are undeated and playing the team from up north on Saturday. Its our bowl game, so its should be a real war (probation and all). Weathers pretty good for this time of year (hi 20's at nite, but 50's & 60's during the day). Stay safe my friend. Keep the blogs coming. Oh, and by the way, loved your blogs and comments on Nepal. Sounded like just the place to reccommend to your worse enemy! LOL! Tom
20th November 2012

Beautiful colours
Loved reading your blog on Burma, yet another place we have on our list... it almost made it for the next trip.. it still might make it! The colours in the photos are so beautiful, each one really stood out and made for a great lunchtime getaway!
20th November 2012

We recommend going soon
We will publish another blog from there today. It is raw and unspoiled at this point but with recent interest we think we will start going in larger numbers. At this point they don't have enough rooms and infrastructure to handle much more so go soon if you can.
20th November 2012

We continue to follow along and wish we were there with you!
20th November 2012

Hello Anne and Bill,
Glad you are with us in spirit and wish you could be here. Hopefully, we can travel together some place soon. That would be great!
20th November 2012

Hello Anne and Bill,
Glad you are with us in spirit and wish you could be here. Hopefully, we can travel together some place soon. That would be great!
20th November 2012

Hello Anne and Bill,
Glad you are with us in spirit and wish you could be here. Hopefully, we can travel together some place soon. That would be great!
21st November 2012

I think Dave would rock a ponytail :)
Commenting on both blogs sitting here insanely jealous :) Thanks for the lovely insight into Burma...and I do think Dave would excellent with a long silver ponytail ;) REALLY looking forward to the next blog!
21st November 2012

He was tired of that fly away look
It was time for a trim

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb