And so to Yangon


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
November 20th 2016
Published: November 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We have had a couple of truck days taking us down to Yangon (Rangoon). I knew from reading the guide books that Yangon was a poor city, but it was sad to see the gap between rich and poor increasing as we drove through the suburbs. And once we got into the city the poverty became even more evident with families living along the waterside and the railway tracks.

The hotel was average, with very intermittent wifi, and occasional hot water. However I went out exploring and spent some time on one of the bridges watching all of the to-ing and fro-ing on the river. Boats being mended and rowing boats being used to ferry people and goods across the river.

On the second evening there a group of us went to the Karaweik Palace for supper and cabaret. The palace is a golden boat on the lake and we were greeted at the doors by pages in national costume. The buffet was amazing and we indulged in salads (cheese at last), smoked salmon, fish en croute, curries, stews, ice cream, panacotta, cheesecake ...... All accompanied by entertainment of local dancing, acrobatics and singing. Expensive night out by Myanmar standards but nice to be able to dress up and enjoy something different.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb