Yangon arrival


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
December 9th 2005
Published: December 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Flew with Bangkok Airways from Bangkok to Yangon. $5 'fixed' taxi into city shared with young American lad, and went to 'The Haven Inn' at 216 Bo Myat Tun St but, guesthouse was full so owner took me to their second guesthouse, a couple blocks away. The 'Three Seasons Hotel' is at 83-85 52nd Street; a single (twin bed) air-con room (necessary!) with shower for $12 night. Very clean with spotless teak floors and surroundings. Win Lo is houseboy & very helpful, plus Ms. Hla Hla is manager and changes $US at 1100Kyat/$, a reasonable rate.

1st full day of Friday, caught taxi for 1500Kyat to the Shwedagon Paya to spend morning touring site. Entry cost 7500Kyat and the guide, Nay Lin Pxeng charged $5 for his extensive tour of pagoda; note well worth the $5 for his commentary, although I noticed some other single travellers who, presumably opted to not have guide. Note: the entry ticket, plus sticker for shirt should be retained as, combined, they will permit one re-entry to the grounds. Nay Lin suggested that I come back in late afternoon another day for the 'magnificent' sunset view on west side of Stupa.

Caught taxi back to city centre, around the 'Sule Paya' and walked back to guesthouse in later afternoon. Note: taxis generally cost between 1000-1500Kyat around the city.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb