Myarmar (Burma) To Go or Not To Go!


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
August 15th 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spaghetti-O'sSpaghetti-O'sSpaghetti-O's

My thinking is as childern they did not get Alphaghetti so they had to learn to spell with Shaghetti-O's.
I'm in Myanmar it's former name was Burma. The country is run by a military regime who have oppressed the people. There are many reasons not to visit the country 1. the tourist dollars help fuel government repression directly. 2. forced labour to develop tourist related sights. 3. Impossible to visit without some money going to the government. ... On the other side. The people have no contact with the outside world except through tourist. Even though some money ends up in the governments hands if you stay and eat in family run establishments you can keep most of the money in the hands that really need it.
When I arrived here I figured out I could get away with only spending half of what I was planned. But I made it a point to spend every dollar I planned and spred it around to as many people as I could.
The USA and EU put sanctions against Myanmar, prohibiting trade. a nice aspect about this is all western business have left the country. Leaving the door open for locals to start up business to fill the gaps. You have no chain restaurants or business (not a Star Bucks in
This Isn't Even Full Yet!!!This Isn't Even Full Yet!!!This Isn't Even Full Yet!!!

There is still room on the top of the cab and no one is hanging off the sides of the truck yet.
sight, THANK GOD). A lot of family owned stuff. Even as little as phone booths. Since the phone companies left the country because of the boycott there are virtually no cell phones. A phone booth will be a table set up along side the road with 1 to 4 phones on it and the person tending the Booth will charge you per call.
The photos in this entry are from Yangon and Mandalay.
Yangon is the capital city moved here when the British took over.I spent a couple nights here it is very beautiful a lot of interesting stuff.
Mandalay is the former capital of the Burmese empire.

Cheers
Tim



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

It's so easy to be rich here.It's so easy to be rich here.
It's so easy to be rich here.

The largest bill is 1000 Kyats worth 80 cents CDN.


23rd June 2010

Yangon trip
Hi, I would be travelling to Yangon coming August 2010 with 9 persons total. I would like to ask about travel package in Yangon. Is it advisable to book on internet first before arrival? or i can log in any travel booth agency when arrival which is cheaper. Pls do advise me....thanks

Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb