House of Memories in Yangon


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
January 23rd 2020
Published: January 23rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

It's been little over 4 months for me in mordern day Yangon and to my knowledge I found out that 35-40% of the total population of the city are either Indian or Indian Origin and living in Myanmar for a long time and had become a local people only but there root are still connected to some part of India.

Most of the Indian's know our country's history and struggle and sacrifice by the different freedom fighter's to get the freedom of our country from the Rule of the British.

One of the most significant freedom fighter was Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and we all know his history and his contribution towards the Indian Freedom movement.

It was from Rangoon in the year 1944 he gave the famous word's "Give me your blood and I shall give you freedom" and that caption have do give goosebumps to most of the Indian but just on the eve of any national day or on the eve of the great Freedom fighter's birthday and also the song "kadam kadam baraye jaah" has been adopted by the present Indian Army as a motivational song on there way to the battle field.

On the eve of the birthday of Netaji I decided to visit to the house of memories the place where he used to stay in Rangoon. The house was at one time known as the “Nath Villa” (a sign at the front gate still have that name) and belonged to Mr Dina Nath Chairman of the Indian Independence Army’s chapter in Burma and his wife Caroline.

Due to it's heritage the Mordern generation of the Nath Family have converted the spacious house into a pleasant restaurant known as the "House of Memories". A number of private dining rooms are named after Nath family members and one on the first floor was the office of none other than General Aung San.

The Nath's were active in the anti-colonial struggle and gave Aung San a room in 1941.Dina Nath also arranged meetings between the Indian Independence Army and Aung San. The IIA’s leader, Subhas Chandra Bose stayed here for a good duration of time.

Dina Nath was imprisoned for a year by the British in 1947 for his role with the IIA. Rajiv Gandhi, prime minister of India later honoured Nath’s role in the independence struggle and the house features many photos of Nath’s momentous life.
The house is well preserved but clearly delicate and have gone through few renovation here and there but the smell and feel of the history for India & Myanmar is still fresh in it for the people who try to feel the heritage.

As I went in the morning hours and the restaurant was not opened and with much of a request they allowed me to go through the historical building and it is a well maintained place and have many stories hidden in it's wall which neither me knows or any history book have in stores. It will definitely give you some goosebumps and patriotic feeling while taking a walk in the building.

If you are in Yangon then don't forget to drop a visit and taste and feel the nostalgia of the historical heritage this building have to offer you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb