Day 32 - Mawlamyine


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Southern Burma » Mawlamyine
January 2nd 2013
Published: January 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in Mawlamyine. Today was market day. There are three large markets in Mawlamyine. One that is prmarily a wholesale market where anything and everything is sold in bulk. A second market supplies everything from buckets to hats and kids toys. The OH had lost all of his hats now including the favourite half a hat. With much optimism he set off to see if he could buy one at the markets in Mawlamyine. They may sell just about everything but there were no half hats. There were hats though that had a full flap hanging down the back. In fact they would even come in handy if on a motor bike as everything except your eyes can be covered. The last market is a fruit, vegie, flower, and jewellery market of all things. The street contained heaps of fresh fruit stalls in front of heaps of jewellery shops. The jewellery shops eemed very popular with the locals. We had a great time trying to figure out what some of the fruit and vegies were as many we had never seen before and some looked similar to things we knew but weren't quite the same. There were a heap of differnt type bananas from green ones that are ripe to strangely coloured burnt orange and purple ones. We settled for a bag of watermelon.

The rest of the morning was spent in the internet cafe we had found. The internet may work well but it is still exceedingly slow in comparision to what you get used to at home. Sending an email takes ages an an hour easily slips by when you are trying to catch up with family and friends. Sadly we had to make our way back to our hotel to pack our things ready to leave in the morning for our early bus ride to Yangon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb