Mandalay, the jewels are outside of the box...


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Mandalay
April 10th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our second stop in Burma is in Mandalay. But first, I would like to thanks all of those who sent us messages and comments the last few days. We are now out of Burma, back at home (not for long). We did left Rangon 24 hours before a bomb exploded there, killing a total of 9 people...and by the photos I saw, it seems we were at the exact location 25 hours before the blast.

Also a question did come back all the time in the messages. How easy it is to get around Burma? Well, if you keep to the main sites, it is very easy. We had our international return flights from Bangkok on Bangkok Air (seriously cheap), booking for our first two nights in Rangon...when travelling with a 9 years old, it is easier...and the Lonely Planet. That's it! Domestic planes were booked once in Rangon (be patient), and local accomodation in Mandalay and Bagan were done once there using the Lonely Planet...we did not need a guide to babysit us, and it was way nicer and flexible like this...and for sure way cheaper!

Mandalay...well, the city center itself is less than interesting. It's another city without any power most of the time, so if you do walk in the street at night, better be equiped with a torch...as a simple safety gear toward the motorbikes and bicycles...which are not equiped with lights! And make sure your hotel has a proper generator.

Food wise, it is also a little tricky place, but we managed a great Thai diner...I know, not very original!

The best of Mandalay is clearly at the door of the city. The first morning, we landed early, jump on a taxi...got a room, and on for the 9am boat trip to Mingun. Interesting 90 minutes excursion on the river before reaching Mingun. Mingun itself is not that impressive. We spent our late afternoon climbing the Mandalay Hills....fun...more than 700 steps! But the best of Mandalay may actually be the shopping part....puppets, wood carving, stone carving...wow, this is a shopper paradise, with very friendly shopkeepers!

Our next day we rented a small taxi for the day...on the program, Amarapura, Inwa and Sagaing. Pictures will speak for themself. The sun was out....the temperature was close to 40c....but a great day. The best part of the day may have been touring Inwa in a horse carriage. As there are very few tourists, you have the place to yourself. We have also been able to easily avoid the 10usd government fee on Mandalay sightseeing. I would normally not be proud of this, but if there is a country where you are happy not to pay a government fee, this is the one.

Our hotel was average, because you do not spent much time in your room here. It's another of these places where it's better to wake up at 6am...and got to sleep early. Not sure there is any kind of night life in Mandalay.

Out of the three stops we did in Burma, we all prefered Rangon and Bagan. This is simply maybe because the city center of Mandalay is simply not appealling.

Our next stop is Bagan. Another very early morning flight...but for info, we did fly with Yangon Airlines and Bagan Air, and both have ATR72 who looked all right to me. Even the service was very nice.

So once I've uploaded Bagan pictures, we'll have our three entries on this amazing country. Amazing really by it's own people!


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb