Land of the Genuine Smile


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Mandalay
September 9th 2009
Published: September 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our ride for the day...Our ride for the day...Our ride for the day...

Four of us fit in the back of that thing. I'm guessing it's a 1950 Mazda.
They say that Thailand is the land of 1000 smiles.. Well Myanmar must be the land of the genuine smile. The people here light up when they see a foreigner... and they don't come to often I am guessing. I can count on my hands usually, the number of foreigners I see daily.. using my toes is reaching but it's possible if you are doing something major like taking the ferry (which only leaves twice a week!), This is also land of the ultra antique car, but all are put to use daily as taxis or standard family vehicles (if you can afford to travel like that).

We ventured out with the Israelis to Amarapura and Saigaing for the day. It rained for most of the evening so we had dinner and called it an early night. The next day the two of us caught the morning boat to Mingun, which is home to the largest Temple in the world (it's unfinished due to a quake and death of the then king) and largest uncracked bell in the world (2nd largest bell overall). That evening we went to the Moustache Brothers show, with a whopping 10 foreigners that night. Only foreigners are allowed to see the performances.

Some things are better left in pictures so that's where the focus shall be! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Preparing the silk.....Preparing the silk.....
Preparing the silk.....

Oh what lovely colors she chose!
Swimming with the locals...Swimming with the locals...
Swimming with the locals...

Not me! Dan on the left going for a swim with the kids.
Hmmmm...Hmmmm...
Hmmmm...

Some things just aren't the same when you try to spell them in a language not your own.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb