Day 2 at Bagan


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Bagan
November 28th 2012
Published: November 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This day has an interesting start; it begins with a faceoff between me and the communal squat or what I prefer to call the fetal-position toilet. It’s essentially a toilet without a seat—a ceramic hole in the ground. I’ve come across these toilets many times before in Thailand, however back then I had always managed to avoid using it for anything other than number one. This time was different. I don’t feel it necessary to elaborate much further.

First on the list of today’s itinerary is a visit to Mount Popa, a steep piece of rock on the side of an ancient volcano with exactly 777 steps that lead to a temple with a great view. The past couple of days contained rigorous cycling, our muscles are exhausted. Liam seems unfazed by the mountain that lay ahead while I stand whimpering in its shadow that stretches up the middle of the road.

The first quarter of the stairs is lined with hawkers selling trinkets, souvenirs and food while the hundreds of pilgrims and tourists are competing for space along the steep and narrow staircase. Then comes the army of monkeys.



Liam is pathetically afraid of monkeys, and suddenly realizes that it may have been a bad idea to bring the pack of peanuts he was munching on. He subtly suggests that I take the bag in an attempt to remove himself from the predicament. I flatly reply, “Only if you offer them first.”

We reach the top of Mount Popa and are greeted with a 360-degree view of the vast plains of Bagan, a beautiful sight.

We now have to descend this enormous, winding staircase with legs the consistency of jelly. “This is perilous and stupid.” I consider giving in, letting gravity bring me down to the bottom of the mountain. But we complete the descent without incident.

Because we missed sunset the previous day, we decide not to let hunger get in the way again. However, this means another grueling 3km cycle to the temple grounds.

Advertisement



29th November 2012

We really loved the temples in Bagan
We prefer the sandstone over the gold ones. We love all the history.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb