Humbled by our 3 day trek over the mountains of Myanmar.


Advertisement
Asia » Burma » Eastern Burma » Kalaw
March 6th 2015
Published: March 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our 3 day trek through the mountains of Myanma: We did not know this at the time, but this was to become one of the main highlights of our trip to Myanmar. We made a quick stop in Kalaw which was pretty uneventful but the purpose of which was to book and begin a 3 day 2 night trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake. We happily took the day bus option to get here as opposed to any night bus, although arrivi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Elderley woman weaving in villageElderley woman weaving in village
Elderley woman weaving in village

She offered us a seat, some nuts and some chinese tea. She told us how she used to work in the fields but now due to her age she stays in the village weaving



27th March 2015
IMG_4585

Off the beaten path!
What a magical experience to experience authentic rural life! So often I've seen men in villages hanging out in cafes while the women did all the work. How wonderful that here, everyone pitched in, cooperated and were happy. Bravo for you for walking those very long distances, even in the sun, and getting to witness such beauty! Thanks for taking us along.
28th March 2015
IMG_4585

Myanmar trekking
Thank you. Its alway lovely to hear your thoughts. It was truly off the beaten track which was the most amzing thing about it. In hindsight we did walk a lot but when we were there, and don't get me wrong my legs were very sore but I think our legs got used to the pain as we walked and we were too distracted by our surroundings. It was the most amazing experience we have had. I still think about Burma now a couple of weeks later. Yes, they did work together but we all had the feeling the women had it harder, exposed in the feilds all day hacking away and were the ones were the most servere disfigurement from their work. Lol, P.
28th March 2015
Mother and daughter working together

An absolutely gorgeous photo!
The women always seem to get the work the men don't want to do! When we visited a tea plantation we were told that only women pick tea as they have smaller hands...yeah right! it's more like only women do it because it's back breaking work and pays a horrible wage. I would love to do this trek... sounds amazing.
29th March 2015
Mother and daughter working together

Thanks guys, really felt like we caught the moment perfectly in this picture. The guide translated for them and they said us women in our group were beautiful. We all felt the same about them!! Beautiful smiles that blew us away but sadly they felt their dark skin was unattractive. Someone in the group commented on their beautiful teeth and the lack of Beattle-nut and they commented as per our observations that it was mainly men who did this. But not before marriage then after marriage the bettle-nut and drinking began. I'm guessing not a part of their culture they want to hold onto. Smaller hands hey? that's a first. It really is a shame this is not shared more.
2nd April 2015
Woman smoking cigar working in the field

Back roads
Glad you got away from the tourist areas and did a few days trekking. You home stay sounds good. Great photos. Glad you were able to capture some moments like these.
3rd April 2015
Woman smoking cigar working in the field

Thanks for the heads up on the photo's, its a great feeling when you actually capture what your looking for and to be honest it doesn't happen a lot. Yes, in retrospect we wish we would have spent more time in areas like this as we don't know if we'll get similar experiences again.

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 39; qc: 151; dbt: 0.1395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb