B4runei (part one)


Advertisement
Brunei's flag
Asia » Brunei
February 29th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Brunei (part one)

Our visit to Brunei was much more interesting than we both thought it would be. Bruce and Bruce Laing went on an “adventure” tour into the National Park, or jungle while Brigid and I toured the city and went to “Hi-Tea” (their words) at the seven star Empire Hotel. I really can not describe the Bruces’ trip nearly as well as either of them, as we laughed so much we were gasping for breath. I will only hit the basics and let him tell you himself - in person if possible.

First of all, it was pouring rain when we arrived and when they left for the first leg of the trip by speed boat with a 200HP motor. This was to be a “multi-modal” trip, according to the two planners. From there they took a van to a spot to catch a long boat holding four passengers and two crew, the one in front to indicate logs in the way so the guy in back steering could quickly swerve around it and the passengers clung to the sides of the boat. This lasted about 45 minutes during which they both gave up trying to keep anything dry as the river swirled rapidly around them, they were just trying to stay in the boat. When they arrived at the “lodge” they were given a rice cake for energy for the next leg of the trip was just beginning and lunch would be in about an hour and a half after the climb to the top of the canopy. At this point several of the people decided to stay in the lodge, but not our Bruces. Next came the suspension bridge that was made of wood, making it very slippery, but it had mesh sides. However, although it was too wide to hold on to both sides as one went across, they both made it. From there the climb began up the hill on slippery wooden steps leading to the aluminum towers. More than 2,000 in all, according to them. They were warned that if there were lightning they couldn’t climb the towers for the final view of the park. But, this was just a steady rain and no lightning so up they climbed, this time on steps with a tread. The view was great but they didn’t see any proboscis monkeys that are unique to Brunei, nor any other wildlife except a five inch pygmy ground squirrel. They had worked up an appetite during the climb, that took two and a half hours, not one and a half, so they were fed a hearty lunch before the “easy” trip back. Of course the rain stopped after lunch so they had a chance to dry off a bit as they whizzed over the white water back to the bay. (I approve of this accounting. BBW)



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb