Punishment


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Thimphu
December 8th 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

On your marks....On your marks....On your marks....

06:27 in Upper Mottithang.
There is a story that we heard. Apparently, disobedient soldiers in years gone by were given a punishment to run between Thimphu and Paro. 29km, 2000m of altitude gain and loss on mountainous terrain, all run between 2400m and 3600m. Sounds curious... but wait! it gets more interesting! There was a 'fastest known time' for this punishment. A time of 7hours and 50 minutes.

Now, let me introduce you to Randall. Randall is a curious chap. He likes challenges. He was triumphant in the Thimphu Momo-Off (eating as many Bhutanese dumplings as you can), and astounded his audience by putting away a healthy 32 of them! In addition to momos, Randall also likes hills, and running up and down them.

Those of you that know me (Andy), know that I am also impartial to the occasional challenge. You may also know that I own running shorts. The combination of these factors meant that when Randall suggested we go for a 'Punishment Run', there was no answer but the affirmative.

So we did go for a run. We left at 06:27 in the morning.... and got there before the bar opened for a celebratory beer! 5 hours and 38
Pumola PassPumola PassPumola Pass

The top of the first hill, after 1100m of uphill. Coincidence, as you can see - we bumped into some people, just like us doing the run at the same time!
minutes, with our bodies exhausted and falling apart! Our respective wives have now disallowed us from ever speaking to each other again - apparently we are a bad influence on each other. (There was mention of an Alpine ultramarathon though...)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The middleThe middle
The middle

Up one hill, down to the valley in the middle, and now heading up the second hill.
Second hill...Second hill...
Second hill...

My legs will never forgive me for what happened on this hill.
Jilli DzongJilli Dzong
Jilli Dzong

Top of the second big hill, after a 900m climb. (That is a total of 2000m of ascent!)
Jilli DzongJilli Dzong
Jilli Dzong

On schedule for establishing a new fastest time!
Coming down...Coming down...
Coming down...

Randall jumps, gazelle like, over the frozen stream (for the camera).
Coming Down...Coming Down...
Coming Down...

Knees high, suave expression... always be ready for the camera.
Paro Dzong!Paro Dzong!
Paro Dzong!

PARO DZONG!
Paro Dzong!Paro Dzong!
Paro Dzong!

Yes! It is Paro Dzong!
And...FINISHED!And...FINISHED!
And...FINISHED!

These monks were a bit confused. They went to Thimphu by car the previous week, and it only took them 45 minutes.
End timeEnd time
End time

5 Hours and 38 minutes of running
Paro Dzong!Paro Dzong!
Paro Dzong!

Never a bad moment for a lunge.
Paro Dzong!Paro Dzong!
Paro Dzong!

What pride!


26th December 2012

Drukathon for Tour guides of bhutan
Firstly i would like to congratulate Randall for his accomplishment. Its good to hear such stories working in Tourism . I myself wanted to do it in those early days of my life when i was quite active but still i have not given up hope and would do Druk path trek in a day the actual one all the way from Jangchula to Bimilangtsho and then to Phajoding . I wanted to organize this trek as one day annual events mainly for tour guides and also for other who would want to do it . m happy to know that some one did it . Hoping to do it soon .

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb