Monks, mask dances and the Dzongs


Advertisement
Asia » Bhutan » Bumthang
October 24th 2012
Published: October 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As you fly into Bhutan you are quickly reminded that this is a country of mountains. Most of the towns are built in the valleys between the mountains but a few villages are perched high up in the clouds. This country is green and lush due to the many evergreen trees along with a smattering of deciduous trees that are now currently turning soft fall colors. It is such a treat. Not that much snow fa... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

LunchtimeLunchtime
Lunchtime

happy & running
Accident prone areaAccident prone area
Accident prone area

Not sure why this area is different from many others....
No spittingNo spitting
No spitting

Must have been a problem at one time.
ConcentrationConcentration
Concentration

National Sport
Clean riversClean rivers
Clean rivers

beautiful colors
National BirdNational Bird
National Bird

The Raven



25th October 2012

How I miss Bhutan!
Bhutan claims a very special place in my heart. I'm sure YOU understand how I feel. [:)] Those photos ESP of the dancers are beautiful! Happy birthday to both of you!
25th October 2012

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Indeed Bumthang is special but we loved every place we went. Traditional is valued.
25th October 2012

Lucky you!
Beautiful..but i do believe from spending time with my bhutanese that happiness is real. Thanks..and glad you took the time to get to Bumthang ;)
25th October 2012

Happiness appears real.
I asked our guide if he would like to move to another country to live and he said no. He is excited about going to Brazil next year for a couple of months to study languages. Honest and decent people.
25th October 2012

Oh I am so jealous hee hee....
I really do think that you have found paradise. Your pictures are simply wonderful...as always. Rumour has it that it is Dave's birthday, so best wishes for to you sir! I couldn't think of a more marvellous place to spend your special day :)
26th October 2012

Bhutan is unique
Yes, Dave is aging. What a great place to do it. Beauty and serenity. 90 % Buddhist is a small, uncrowded country.
25th October 2012

Heaven on earth?
This looks like a place that could bring peace and contentment into one's life like no other. The pictures are absolutely breath taking.
26th October 2012

Lessons to be learned in Bhutan
It is like living in a postcard. We are surrounded by beauty. Each vista more stunning than the next. And the kindness.....
25th October 2012

Amazing!!!
I have the feeling that your next stop is really going to have to pull out its A-game after your time in Bhutan. It makes me so happy that you are able to spend the time to soak up all that this country has to offer. Your pictures are amazing and I wish I were there smiling and standing with you. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
26th October 2012

Always looking for the A game
Indeed you are correct but many we have met in our travels tell us that Myanmar is one of their favorites....so we wait and see. India is next and then to Myanmar. We should see some interesting things. Today we climbed to the Tiger's Nest. What a place to build a temple.
26th October 2012
Yak it up

like a water buffalo but furry! very cute :)
26th October 2012
Yak it up

Yes, indeed wild hair
They use the wool to make all kinds of things and the cheese is very good.
26th October 2012

everything looks so clean and beautiful!
Bhutan sounds very appealing...glad you are having a great time.
26th October 2012

Painting pictures
This is a great blog, passionately painting pictures of the people, the place and your personal impressions. Wonderful! We can learn a lot from that. Methinks they're learning from the Peruvians who love to dress up for the tourist and wear the best smiles all day, and tourism brings real money into the country, so important, and hopefully for the benefit of the people. Sadly, Bhutan is not on our 'immediate to-do' list. If we're not there, we're likely to be somewhere else! David
26th October 2012

David & Janice
I know you were planning India and Nepal but have some reservations about Nepal. I was hoping you'd go to Bhutan instead. You would love it! I agree with your comments about Peru. One of our favorites. Good hearing from you.
27th October 2012

enjoy being with you and merry jo on your trek, love the photos and comments, looking forward to your next blog, very excited. All's well on Cape Cod!
28th October 2012

Greetings from Dehli, India
Great to hear from you! Hope you are prepared for the big storm headed your way. Very glad you are enjoying the blogs. We are having a great time. Please send my best to everyone. Best regards, Dave (and of course, MJ)
28th October 2012
Another amazing Dzong

GOTTA LUV IT
Love that it it is clean, happy and remote...gotta say I hate rubbish in pristine places. Glad you took the plunge to explore the hinterland. Magic Himalayan country...seriously considering.
28th October 2012
Another amazing Dzong

We were happy about it being clean
When in Asia we don't have high expectations for the cleanliness but Bhutan was a surprise. They take pride in their country. The Himalayas truly are magical as you say. We are happy to have seen them.
28th October 2012

What a fantastic experience!
I'd love to see Bhutan one day, and reading this blog has made me want to travel there even more. Was interested in the time it takes to travel anywhere, a longer stay in Bhutan sounds the plan for any visitor.
28th October 2012

Bhutan is unique and charming.
We had a wonderful time there and are so glad we went. I hope you can add it to your travel plans. I think it is a location you would enjoy. They are attempting to increase travel at a rate they can handle so everyone can enjoy the experience.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb