Murray's trip to Bangladesh, checking on Royhinga crossing over from Myanmar


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh
March 11th 2017
Published: August 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I traveled to Bangladesh to support the country team with response to water born disease outbreak emergency in Cox Bazaar. The situation with the Royhinga is really one of the worst I have seen anywhere in the world. It is a situation which has been going on for years and has never received much media attention. With the current flare-up of violence in Myanmar around 70,000 people have crossed into Bangladesh. No Royhinga in Bangladesh have been granted refugee status since 1992, and only 33,000 have refugee status. All others (around 250,000 in Bangladesh now) are classified as 'undocumented Myanmar Nationals'. This means they are completely marginalised, have no rights and are open to any level of abuse including, violence, rape, child trafficking. They are crammed into tiny camps or living in urban areas. Since the disease outbreak humanitarian agencies have been providing assistance to the new arrivals. Many Royhinga end up living in Malaysia, and Thailand, but struggle to get recognised with any legal status. Some end up in India where they can register as refugees.

Murray.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



17th October 2017

..
Good work!

Tot: 0.343s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb