Baku - A night at the opera and a day by the sea


Advertisement
Azerbaijan's flag
Asia » Azerbaijan » Baku
March 15th 2009
Published: March 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last night we went to the Baku Opera and Ballet Theatre to watch a production of Aida. Aided by stars from Georgia and Belarus, the Azeri National Opera must be feeling quite pleased with themselves for putting on such a good show. The best part of three and a half hours simply flew by and we never once felt inclined to leave early. We left the theatre with the music ringing in our ears. It was wonderful.

Today the sun has been shining and it has been pleasantly warm. As a result we decided to jump on a bus to a small place about 30 minutes down the coast from Baku. Sahil means seaside in Azeri, so we thought we would check it out, despite warnings that it was a bit grim and there was nothing there.

Ok, it's not Rio de Janeiro, in fact it's not even Cleethorpes, but it was nice enough. It was lovely to feel the sun on our skin again and to walk on the sand close to the Caspian Sea. We saw lots of Caspian Seagulls and provided an extra attraction for the local populous to stare at! Have they never seen tourists
What a dilemmaWhat a dilemmaWhat a dilemma

So come on guys, who would you choose, the gorgeous princess holding your hand or the operatic fat lady, Aida?!!!
before?!! There were plenty of nice monuments to look at, but no real information about what they represent. The mosque looked interesting but we didn't venture inside the walls. We always find it strangely fascinating to see the Soviet style apartment blocks too, even though we now have had the experience of living in one!

So then it was back to Baku, well, Bayil to be more precise where we have moved into a new apartment. It's lovely inside but, as you can see from the photo, it isn't exactly inviting from the entry corridor! Home sweet home!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Caspian Seagulls!Caspian Seagulls!
Caspian Seagulls!

Russ' footie friends will appreciate the caption.
Back homeBack home
Back home

Looks inviting, doesn't it!!


10th April 2010

baku a beautiful of azerbijan
Baku is beautiful city

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb