Baku – By the shore of the Caspian Sea


Advertisement
Azerbaijan's flag
Asia » Azerbaijan » Baku
September 22nd 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we made it. We are finally in Baku. “Where’s Baku?” we’ve been asked by several friends. “Azerbaijan” we reply. “Azer-by-WHAT?” most of them comment. So, here goes, Azerbaijan is a former Soviet Republic located East of Georgia and Armenia, Norht of Iran, South of the Dagestan region of Russia, and on the West coast of the Caspian Sea. It is a muslim country although it’s not really noticeable on the surface. The Azeri people speak a curious blend of Russian and Azeri (similar to Turkish) which we are finding a bit tough. Trish is enjoying the challenge of remembering her Russian from years ago but you never know which of the two languages to use until you actually speak to someone. With a 50/50 choice we are usually wrong!! We’ll get there in the end.

We also get asked why we are here. The answer is to teach English. We’ve arrived on a 12 month contract with the imaginatively named school LSD (Language Services Direct) and so far everything seems good. Prices are a bit higher than we anticipated. We are told that’s because of the amount the oil workers get paid. Teachers’ salaries fall far short of that mark. Even so, we are sure we’ve made the right decision.

The flight with AZAL (Azeri Airlines) was uneventful. There were no individual TV screens and the only film shown during the flight on the communal screens was in Russian. That’s where i-pods are so good! The food was good but the wine was dire. I guess we became wine snobs in Argentina!!! Everyone applauded on landing but it hadn’t been bumpy or anything so we suppose they were just pleased to be home!

We were met by one of LSD’s drivers, Emin. He took us to our apartment and left us there to figure out how things work! Once we got the water pump going things were looking up!! The flat is nice inside but the soviet style block isn’t exactly pleasing to the eye from the outside. Still, home sweet home for 12 months!!!!!!!!! The view from the back over Baku Bay is wonderful though and it’s only a few minutes walk down to where most of our classes will be. It’s just a shame we have 200 or so steps each way to climb up or down. Saves on gym membership though!

Our plan is to explore as much of the country as we can in 12 months but for now we’re going to get to know the city. We hope you continue to enjoy our travels with us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Baku SymbolsBaku Symbols
Baku Symbols

The Azeri flag and the communications tower which dominates the skyline
View from the apartmentView from the apartment
View from the apartment

Nice view of the docks and the Azeri Navy!
Russian Books!Russian Books!
Russian Books!

There is an interesting collection of Russian books in the apartment. The yellow Tolstoy looks particularly good!!


22nd September 2008

Suerte!!
Hey guys, Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear about everything!
25th September 2008

“Azerbaijan”
isn't that the jail in the Harry Potter stories?

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb