The ARMENIAN GENOCIDE...when the end becomes the beginning


Advertisement
Asia » Armenia
September 15th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The ARMENIAN GENOCIDE...when the end becomes the beginning. In 1991 the Republic of Armenia emerged from the fragmentation of the Soviet Union...ending a thousand years of subjugation of the Armenian people...lucky...but for their spirit of endurance...to be a people at all. The Romans destroyed Caesaria in Israel "so that no stone stood upon another." History is full of towns and cities and ci... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement
























14th September 2017

The Armenian Question
Dancing One....just finished your blog....great stuff. You clearly were touched by the museum as we were. Thought your reference to Anzac Day and the Hemingway quote were very poignant...thanks for sharing.....The Dangerous One
15th September 2017

The Armenian Question
In many ways one of my most important blogs Dave. I know an Armenian guy who was born in Syria...now I understand why. He was an impetus to choose Armenia as our last destination. I followed up our visit to the Genocide Museum with considerable research and had to pen my perspectives. I can't help think the Russians are sort of the heroes of my tale...not the view I dreamed of before visiting what is left of the Armenian homeland...and what an extraordinary people that they could endure so much and by pure determination some survived.
15th September 2017

A GRIPPING ACCOUNT
Wow David that was a gripping & extensive account & reminds me that light must be shone in dark places. I too marvelled at the resilience & proud nature of the Armenians.
15th September 2017

A GRIPPING ACCOUNT
Thanks Denise. I had to tell the story and could not bring myself to share many of the photos as you know. I have had my say...just hope folks out their are prepared to read and dwell on it.
15th September 2017

I do too...
Thanks for this history lesson. I read every word. I took Hitler's comment to heart, because that is why genocide continues to this day. Countries practice genocide as they know that the rest of the world will not intervene. And when Vietnam stepped in to stop the Cambodian genocide, the world, including the U.S. condemned them for interfering with another country. Shame on us and the world and the hopelessly ineffective UN.
15th September 2017

I do too...
Thanks Bob. This of course was the first Genocide of the 20th century. Hitler was encouraged by the apathy of the world in relation to the Armenian Genocide thus his comment at the end of the blog in effect giving him the green light to carry out his own atrocities. Vietnam marching into Cambodia to end the Genocide by the Khmer Rouge of Pol Pot is an excellent example. I regarded the Vietnamese as absolute heroes at the time, but World politics make many nations take their eyes off the evil perpetrated on victims while they covert the prize. The post Armenian Genocide treaties are an excellent example of that.
16th September 2017

Genocide
Hi Dave, very detailed blog and it reminded me the one I have visited in Cambodia about the Khmer Rouge led by Pol Pot from 1975 to 1979.
16th September 2017

Genocide
Thanks for checking in Marcos. Genocides or their attempts since the beginning of the 20th C are too many...Armenians by the Turks, the Jews by Hitler, Cambodians by the Khmer Rouge, Bosnians by Serbs, the Tutsi v Hutus and vice versa in Rwanda, Sri Lankans v the Tamils, now Rohingya by Myanmar...have I missed any? I am stunned by the long history of what led to the Armenian Genocide, lack of action by nations appalled while it was happening, and its consequences politically...hence the detail. Thanks for commenting.
16th September 2017

Genocide
Hi Dave, I would also mention the genocide happened in Indonesia with the dictator Suharto. British and American conspired to take down Sukarno and it is said that more than a million people died.also horrible was that at the American embassy was said: "to bring Democracy some killings are necessary". And about the Khmer Rouge: the UN allowed those criminals to have a seat for 10 years until 1989 a these criminals represented Cambodia in the world for such a long time and the Cambodian had to vote for them.
17th September 2017

More about Genocide
Thanks for the extra info Marcos...makes one cringe in disbelief. I cannot remember if Pol Pot was ever tried for Genocide after he was pulled out of hiding years after the Vietnamese liberation. Interesting to consider the United Nations Convention on Genocide has been the vehicle used for trials of perpetrators of Genocide in World courts which came into being after the holocaust but was not available for the Armenians.
16th September 2017

A poignant tale of a tragic past
Man's ability and desire to commit atrocities on fellow man on such a scale in the name of ethnic cleansing or just hatred is difficult to comprehend. But it is not something that just happened in history. It continues in our times in various forms.
17th September 2017

A poignant tale of a tragic past
It certainly keeps happening Hem and the message must not be allowed to disappear into forgetfulness. In Armenia it dominates the national consciousness as generations are missing...as it does in Cambodia.
17th September 2017

Hi Dave, no Pol Pot has never been tried and for more than ten years the Cambodian had to vote for their assassins since that the UN granted for them a seat. Very shameful was that these people were called Sir and treated with respect. Only in 2003 the ONU and Hun Sen government created an international court to try the Khmer Rouge responsable for the genocide. Pol Pot escaped that trial cause he died in 1998 in Poipet near the Thai border. Very interesting your blog Dave and thanks to reply to me.bye
17th September 2017

Pol Pot escaped that trial cause he died
Thanks Marcos for the further information. I shake my head and lament. Genocide and Justice are totally opposite poles in so many ways.
17th September 2017

A painful history of genocide
Simply wonderful, Dave! It reminds me of the ethnic cleansing in the Serbia not so long ago. And you have summarized that in one of your response, - Serbs, Rwanda, Sri Lanka and now Myanmar. And perhaps in the future we would learn how much ethnic cleansing are being done by the ISIS. The list goes on and one thing that pains me - we never learn from the History and do the same thing over and over again. I would like to see a world without borders, as John Lennon dreamed of, but I don't think that will ever come. Because we are the beasts in the name of human. Perhaps a strong word, but that's the sentiment. I suggested once, and I know you backed out, but this piece of yours should be published in some history journal, Dave. Think it seriously. I am lately falling behind catching up the blogs, please bear with me! Thanks for a great blog.
17th September 2017

A painful history of genocide
Thank you for your thoughtful response Tab. "Because we are the beasts in the name of human" ...interesting analogy...not too strong as history shows us. If anything history shows the rest of the World will do little to stop ethnic cleansing...even less to punish or bring the perpetrators to account. My blog has Nil from Wikipedia so any suggestions to get the message out there would be appreciated.
23rd September 2017

I was in Armenia in the mid 90-ies
I visited Armenia in the mid 90-ies. It was a strange experience. It was winter and I didn't have any guidebook (there wasn't any then). I missed a lot of interesting places for sure but I did see the genocide museum. I'll go back to Armenia one day and make a revisit because it is a lovely country and I would like to see it in summer too when I am sure that it is much better to go there. /Ake
23rd September 2017

I was in Armenia in the mid 90-ies
You must have been there shortly after its independence from the Soviet Union, Ake. I wonder if the factories were operating. Many are not now. I'm sure the Genocide Museum has come a long way since then...technological displays...hard not to be moved when visiting there.
2nd October 2017

Thank you
Dave - the single most powerful blog I've read - thank you - so very moving
2nd October 2017

Thank you
This is a blog I had to do Cindy. Thank you for spending the time to read it. I look forward to discussing it with you when I am next in Perth. It makes time stop whenever I think about it. I have had one reader in Armenia comment "Thank you so much for information. Your blog is very informative and important for our nation. Thank you so much."
2nd October 2017

Such a sad fate
This is one of those travesties in the world that are rarely talked about. I first learned about it in the Great War youtube channel which made a good episode about it.
2nd October 2017

Such a sad fate
I believe it is only from the detail that one appreciates the enormity of the Armenian Genocide, Per-Olof. I knew next to nothing about it before visiting Armenia. The enormity then became consuming. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog so you can absorb the message. Sobering and important in my reckoning.
8th February 2018

Why do we let it keep happening?
Thanks for the history lesson Dave - so sad we don't seem to be able to learn from past atrocities. Come next ANZAC Day I will also be thinking of Armenia and all its people have been through. Lest we forget.
8th February 2018

Why do we let it keep happening?
I echo your thoughts Jo. ANZAC Day now has a wider meaning for me too. The Armenian Genocide is described as the first Genocide of the 20th Century...yet history shows it started before then. Time and politics change history. Yet that does not change what actually happened. It is indeed important we do not forget.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 18; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb