September 15th, 2007


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia » West » Yerevan
September 15th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buckets!Buckets!Buckets!

Moving the dirt to the front of the house for the landscaping.
Maliek, Gohar, and David (a HFH Armenia volunteer who is Armenian, grew up in Jordan but lives in Yerevan as he is going to the university to be a dentist), picked us up from the hotel to take us to our last day on the worksite. Since we finished moving the lava rock to the attic yesterday, our task today was to do some landscaping- leveling the front and backyard, filling with dirt, then covering with pebbles. As our team enjoys the "bucket brigade", we gladly accepted this task!

When we arrived to the site, we were joined by Hamlet and Amalik, Hraj, Sarkis, Hacob, and a couple of the neighbors. It was a great workday and we were able to finish the front yard before lunch. It was very hot out, so we were sure to take plenty of water breaks, in particular for Hraj and Hamlet who were doing a lot of the shoveling. Sarkis, Hamlet's 11 year old cousin, certainly impressed the group as he worked hard pouring out the dirt in the buckets, all the while have a great smile on his face!

After lunch, we continued working on the back of the house, we
Hamlet and Amalik's houseHamlet and Amalik's houseHamlet and Amalik's house

The front of the house, about 90 sq. meters (9x10 sq meters).
did not finish entirely, however, we were assured the work we had completed helped Hamlet a lot!

Gohar did a wonderful thank you to our team, thanking us for coming to Armenia to help and how much they appreciated our help. She also gave each member a certificate of appreciation along with a keychain with the HFH Armenia logo on one side and the HFH Detroit logo on the other, as well as a small wall-hanging that was decorated with the beloved pomegranate! These gifts were very unexpected but our team certainly appreciated the very nice gesture.

We said our goodbyes- it was very emotional, over the week we had grown very close to the family but hopefully we will continue to stay in touch. Amalik, Hamlet, and their family were so wonderful and welcoming, and even though we did not speak the same language, we managed to communicate and enjoy each others company, making a fantastic connection. I am hoping to return, to visit Amalik and Hamlet in their new home---maybe be back in the next year or so for another Global Village trip 😊

After our good-byes, we headed back to the hotel then to Lebanon
Group photo!Group photo!Group photo!

The last day on the worksite: back row (from left to right), Fran, Amalik, Hamlet, Margie, Linda, Melik, neighbors middle row (from left to right): David, Gohar, Hacob, Veronica, Chuck, Sandra, Hraj, neighbor, Katie front row: Sarkis!
restaurant for a quick dinner before heading to see the ballet, Giselle, at the Opera house.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb