Gregory the Illuminator & the Monasteries & Khachkars of Armenia


Advertisement
Asia » Armenia » West » Echmiadzin
October 2nd 2017
Published: October 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Gregory the Illuminator & the Monasteries & Khachkars of Armenia. Punished for the sins of his father...thrown into a pit to die...15 years in that hell hole surviving on scraps from an anonymous woman...removed to pray to heal a mad king...changing the course of history in so doing... me climbing down a skinny hole into that pit where he was imprisoned...they said it was only six metres down...f... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

EchmiadzinEchmiadzin
Echmiadzin

The Centre of the Armenian Apostolic Church
St Gayane ChurchSt Gayane Church
St Gayane Church

7th Century at Echmiadzin
Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin

4th Century - Echmiadzin Monastery
Saghmosavank MonasterySaghmosavank Monastery
Saghmosavank Monastery

Kasakh River Gorge



2nd October 2017

A lot of churches
Hi Dave, We're aware of your travels into this little known circuit - only for the very brave! Very enlightening - plus a bit like France with all its C's. Keep doing it! David
2nd October 2017

A lot of churches
For a country constantly in the path of conquerors and surrounded by Islam, Armenia's history since Christianity was accepted as the national religion has defined and in many ways united the Armenian people. To enter the ancient monasteries be it in isolation or during a wedding is to not only enter history but a culture. Thanks for commenting David & Janice...Enjoy.
2nd October 2017

What an Epic!
I really want to go to Armenia now! Your stories of Epics passed makes the history and the people so vivid and alive! I look forward to seeing what is next!
2nd October 2017

What an Epic!
A legend that inspired a Nation. What an Epic indeed Per-Olof. Armenia was tacked as a dessert after an epic road trip through the Pamirs, but was a remarkable highlight. Thanks for commenting.
2nd October 2017

Beautiful
Gorgeous, and fascinating history.
2nd October 2017

Beautiful
Your comment says it all Jools. Thanks. As you can imagine these are just a taste of the photos but hopefully an aromatic taste of the delights on offer.
3rd October 2017

Thank you for this brief history of God's grace for a people...
who endured so much persecution over the centuries.
3rd October 2017

Thank you for this brief history of God's grace for a people...
Nicely said Bob. Armenia is amazing in so many ways. You would love the.churches...some cut out of solid rock...so many stories locked in the walls...in the khachkars. You can just sit in the pews and the history of the place ministers to you. Enjoy the photos...they tell their own story.
4th October 2017
St Gayane Church

Many churches
I must have seen a few of the churches you visited when I was in Armenia 20 years ago. I recognize some of the names but I can't recall any details. But your blog still brings back many memories. Thanks for sharing it with us./Ake
4th October 2017
St Gayane Church

Many churches
Hi Ake. I danced through Armenia photographing as many churches as possible but not all could make the cut for this blog. Perchance to say if you visit Armenia again (much closer to Sweden than Oz) you can have a field day capturing the many I missed. A country of many more monasteries and 10,000 khachkars...had to leave many for the more obsessed!!!
4th October 2017

Armenia
Hey Dave, you found a collection of monasteries and churches there. Great stuff Dave, I love secluded places, that is travel..
4th October 2017

Armenia
Great comment Marcos. Occasionally a tourist busload may disrupt the ambience but usually we were able to enjoy silence and get lost in the history that emanated from the monastery walls. In one there was a young woman who sang like an angel indicating the exceptional acoustics may have been a factor in traditional church design.
4th October 2017

Wow! A soap opera!
I was loosing track of connections between Gregory, Trdat, the nuns and the King, Gregory's dad...the list goes on....but I fell for the beautiful nun! What a bad guy Trdat was; He even couldn't appreciate the beauty of such a charming lady. Who on earth tortures a beautiful woman like that? Trdat should rot in hell! That's my two cents!
4th October 2017

Wow! A soap opera!
Wow, you are tough Tab! Interestingly, Trdat (AKA Tirdates) was ultimately canonised for being the ruler who adopted Christianity as the national religion of Armenia in 301AD. Seems Gregory was a bit more forgiving than you!
5th October 2017

The Illuminator, monasteries and the Tajik Outlaws
Ah....Dancing One. The memories of monasteries past and the tales of those days long ago. Great blog...enjoyed your descriptions and great photos......signed...The Dangerous One.
5th October 2017

The Illuminator, monasteries and the Tajik Outlaws
Ah Dangerous One. Great memories...great pic of you at Sanahin I hope you saw...Ara telling us the story of Gregory...Denise & MJ fidgeting...you & I tear in our eye. Me getting us to stop so I could photograph as many monasteries and churches as possible turned out well after all.
6th October 2017
Saghmosavank Monastery

Nice one
Good shot
6th October 2017
Saghmosavank Monastery

Nice one
The nice
12th February 2018

Those monastries
Monastries built in out of the way places, less tourist crowds today - must have been great being able to sit, soak up the atmosphere, and imagine history happening.
12th February 2018

Those monasteries
And in out of the way places...many with jaw dropping views Jo. Amazing many so old yet intact...yep...imaging history happening.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 28; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb