A Journey Back In Time


Advertisement
Antarctica
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My time in South America had come to an end. All that remained was to gather my things and walk down to the dock. I flashed my passport to the guard in the passenger terminal and he checked my name off of a passenger list, scanned my bags and said have a nice day as he directed me through the glass doors that led to the dock. It was easy to find my way from there, because the ship that would be... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Antarctic Scenery (2)Antarctic Scenery (2)
Antarctic Scenery (2)

The scenery along the Gerlache Straight was stunning.
Antarctic Scenery (3)Antarctic Scenery (3)
Antarctic Scenery (3)

The scenery along the Gerlache Straight was stunning.
Being HuntedBeing Hunted
Being Hunted

This is one of the leopard seals that was hunting us in Neko Harbor.
A Reptilian FoeA Reptilian Foe
A Reptilian Foe

This is one of the leopard seals that was hunting us in Neko Harbor.
Neko HarborNeko Harbor
Neko Harbor

This beautiful place was the only place we set foot on the actual continent of Antarctica.
A Gentoo PenguinA Gentoo Penguin
A Gentoo Penguin

I love these penguins. They were the most common ones we saw in Antarctica.
CrevassesCrevasses
Crevasses

This crevass field was above Neko Harbor.
Another Penguin (1)Another Penguin (1)
Another Penguin (1)

I tried to not include too many penguin pictures, but I couldn't help it.
Another Penguin (2)Another Penguin (2)
Another Penguin (2)

I tried to not include too many penguin pictures, but I couldn\'t help it.
Clearing the IceClearing the Ice
Clearing the Ice

Neko Harbor was filled with an icy slush that we had to clear out of the way for the zodiacs.
Paradise HarborParadise Harbor
Paradise Harbor

The ice in the harbor was stunning to look at.
The Secret PathThe Secret Path
The Secret Path

This is the bridge of ice that fits a Himalayan scene right out of my mind.
The Bark EuropaThe Bark Europa
The Bark Europa

This was my home in the Antarctic. I can think of no better way to visit this wonderful place.
Which Way is UpWhich Way is Up
Which Way is Up

The morning after we visited Paradise Harbor we were gifted with some amazing light and calm conditions.
MorningMorning
Morning

The morning after we visited Paradise Harbor we were gifted with some amazing light and calm conditions. It was great for standing on deck.
Sailing South from ParadiseSailing South from Paradise
Sailing South from Paradise

The morning after we visited Paradise Harbor we were gifted with some amazing light and calm conditions.
Sailing South from Paradise (2)Sailing South from Paradise (2)
Sailing South from Paradise (2)

The morning after we visited Paradise Harbor we were gifted with some amazing light and calm conditions.
Sailing South from Paradise (3)Sailing South from Paradise (3)
Sailing South from Paradise (3)

Under full sail. We got some good wind as we approached our furthest south point, so I climbed out on the end of the bowsprit to take a look. Yes it was snowing!
Furthest SouthFurthest South
Furthest South

We were a long way from the pole, but this is the toast to our furthest south.
Port LockroyPort Lockroy
Port Lockroy

We stopped here to see the museum and mail some postcards home.
In the KitchenIn the Kitchen
In the Kitchen

This is one of the views from inside the museum - Note the paint.



23rd April 2007

Hi Uncle Keith
Hey Keith-this is great-love the pictures-Griffin is going to take them to school and show his class where his cool uncle is. Hope you are safe and having a great time! We are with you in spirit! :-)
23rd April 2007

Animal Encounters
Where else in the world could you see eye to eye with a whale or be mistaken for a very large penguin by a leopard seal? Amazing pictures, son. Stay safe.
24th April 2007

Sounds like quite an adventure...Impressive pictures!
25th April 2007

Co-worker of your Mother
Keith, we here at work have all followed your journey and prayed for your safe return. We have enjoyed seeing parts of the world with you through your eyes. What a wonderful experience and you are truly blessed to have been able to experience. We are all envious! Stay well.
10th May 2007

Hi Keith, Greetings from India! It's great to see you are back to writing your journal again. Fantastic pictures as always - especially loved the reflections on Paradise Harbour. I almost feel like I'm travelling with you through those weird landscapes. Keep writing... you're an inspiration :))
5th June 2007

I hate you, your pictures are too good...
All your pictures are first class! Its like you can take no wrong... Thanks for sharing!!
18th October 2008

WOW
amazing trip! inspiring. travel safe.
31st October 2008

wow!
I have an account here as well and I saw your picture on the top of the page and I was stuned! I just have a question- how old was that boat that you were on there?! Looks fantastic!
31st October 2008

The Europa
The Europa started her life as the light ship Senator Brock back in 1911 on the river Elbe in Germany.
3rd November 2008

Hey there- I went to Antarctica a fews years back and fell in love with it. I have always thought of going to work and live there for a bit. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions to get em started. How did you get there? How long were you there and what was your job?
6th November 2008

Working in Antarctica
When I was working down there I got there by flying from New Zealand down to 'The Ice' on a big Air Force Reserve plane, which landed on an ice runway. I was there for nine months through the long, dark winter and my job was field engineer for a construction project. It was a lot of fun. Let me know if you have any other questions.
29th April 2009

Goosebumps
Was there a couple of years back thanx for the memories
25th December 2010
Neko Harbor

Stunning Photo
One feels as if they could just walk into the picture.
9th February 2011
The Whales Return

Beautiful pic; whales return
I am new to TB but this pic is stunning. Antartica? Wow...I plan on looking at the rest of your pics! playagal Sally
25th February 2011
The South Shetland Islands

Incredible pictures. Have always wanted to go to the poles. Thanks for posting your voyage. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
27th July 2012
The Ghost Ship

Beautiful photo
Great photo - looks like the ship is entombed in the ice. *Goosebumps*

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb