What is happening in Stratford?


Advertisement
Antarctica » Temp
December 1st 2009
Published: December 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Library in Henley StreetLibrary in Henley StreetLibrary in Henley Street

Appearances are deceiving. It was built in the early 1900s and replaced Birch's China Shop
Stratford-upon-Avon was my childhood home town and I have many fond memories particularly in the 1960s when it was still a small market town. Today the town appears to be in an economic decline and it no longer has that market town character. The centre of the town is a depressing sight in parts with empty shops dominating the street scene. What has brought about this decline? It is not just the difficult economic situation but, in my opinion, the rapid expansion of the out of town shopping centre on the outskirts of the town. It is called the Maybird Centre and has all the main stores one finds in a town together with lots of free parking. Why bother to struggle into the town centre, have difficulty parking and then pay through the nose once you find a space when a quick trip along the Birmingham Road will land in you in an easily found parking space that is free and with much bigger and better shops.
Stratford is expanding at an incredible rate and no doubt more out of town stores are on the cards. This could be the final nail in the coffin for the town centre. What
RSC TheatreRSC TheatreRSC Theatre

Under reconstruction and should be open next year
about the tourist trade? Most come to see Shakespeare's Birthplace in Henley Street or visit the RSC Theatre by the river. The Theatre is currently being reconstructed and when it is finished next year will be a real asset and will no doubt attract lots of extra visitors. Will they want to go shopping in the town centre or will they just be visiting the theatre? My guess is that as things stand at the moment there will be little shopping done.
As to the visitors to Shakespeare's Birthplace quite a few of them appear to arrive by coach which is parked a short distance away. After going round the Birthplace and doing some tourist shopping in Henley Street they are back on the coach and on to the next tourist hotspot. There are not too many empty shops in Henley Street. Whilst on the subject of Henley Street I must mention the public library which is just a few doors away from the Birthplace. Its appearance would appear to suggest it is very old and may even be from the Tudor period. Appearances are deceiving in this case. It is only about 100 years old having been built on the site of what was known as Birch's China Shop. The shop was partly owned by my great grandfather and at the time of its demise there was a battle to save it. That is another story!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb