Crossing the Antarctic Circle…. Red Noses and a Vast Wilderness


Advertisement
Antarctica » Antarctica
March 9th 2020
Published: May 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

There is no doubt that in our minds, Antarctica makes travel dreams come true. Antarctica is the coldest continent. Antarctica is the driest continent. Antarctica is the windiest continent and we were constantly reminded of that on our trip. Antarctica has a rich history full of brave explorers navigating these waters in days past. Voyages were made by men that seemingly no one in their right mind... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Just another stunning vistaJust another stunning vista
Just another stunning vista

No shortage of these......
Fat and HappyFat and Happy
Fat and Happy

Ready for a swim
Finally on Dave Alcorn's zodiac!Finally on Dave Alcorn's zodiac!
Finally on Dave Alcorn's zodiac!

We kept trying and finally....success!
Tabular IceTabular Ice
Tabular Ice

Amazing azure waters
Plenty of IcePlenty of Ice
Plenty of Ice

Drinks anyone?



14th May 2020

I also prefer to write my blogs while the experience is fresh...
You must have kept a good diary, as you were able to "convey the happiness, enthusiasm or disappointment of your adventure."
14th May 2020

Writing while the experience is fresh
It was an unusual experience. Yes, we did keep good notes and then the cruise company sent the daily diary of where we were each day which helped enormously. We look forward to blogging in real time moving forward. Thank you for following along on our adventure. We always appreciate your comments.
14th May 2020

amazing!
Hi Dave and Merry jo, What an incredible journey. One you will never forget, that’s for sure. We only get one shot at life and you certainly continue to give yours a blast!
14th May 2020

Amazing!
An incredible journey indeed. This was a special trip and will certainly remain one of our top experiences. We don't want any regrets and so far so good. Thank you for commenting.
14th May 2020
Plenty of Ice

Antarctica
Probably the best for me in these blogs is the overwhelming occasion of joy and wonderment in each paragraph...then there are the photographs...surreal & stunning! Gotta luv the Great South Pole land. No doubt that Dangerous Dave & Merry Jo do!
14th May 2020
Plenty of Ice

Antarctica!
This trip excited emotions that some trips cannot. The sense of awe and wonder. The colors were perfect for photography and different every single day. Thanks for reading and commenting my friend.
14th May 2020
Nature's carving makes for a great view

Nature's Carving
Exquisite in icy spades
14th May 2020
Nature's carving makes for a great view

Nature's Carving
It was amazing riding around in the zodiac in a field of these frozen pieces of artistry. It took our breath away.
14th May 2020

Genral
Nice blog, keep the good wok going
14th May 2020

Genral
We enjoy telling the story of our adventure.
14th May 2020

Fabulous Thanks For This Post
What a wonderful adventure - How great that you shared this. The photos are amazing and the writing interesting and insightful. Thank you.
14th May 2020

Fabulous Thanks For This Post
Indeed we had an amazing adventure! We appreciate you reading and commenting. We hope you enjoyed all the blogs on this trip.
14th May 2020

vicarious joy
Once again, thanks so much for sharing with those of us who will never be able to go in person. Enjoyed the penguins the most!
14th May 2020

Vicarious Joy
Thanks Billie for following along and commenting. It was a great trip and we are happy to share. This part of the world is magnificent. The penguins are indeed the cutest!
14th May 2020

Very informative and interesting as usual, and those pictures are just amazing. What a breathtaking place. Dave looks so happy! I would just love the excursions by zodiac and even the polar plunge. Thanks for mentioning that Quark also has a single supplement. One day I’d love to have a wine with you MJ and hear all about your McMurdo visit in ‘89. Alas, still can’t afford a 7th continent trip as I would also have to pay for my dad, but I’ve bought my lotto tickets so, fingers crossed.
15th May 2020

Hello Andrea,
Good hearing from you again. It was a breathtaking place. Our words to do describe it well. The zodiac was so much fun. We were at water level with the whales and penguins. It was perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed for your lotto tickets. The non-single supplement is alluring. There were several people traveling alone and we included a couple of them in our group. We made good friends with some of you Canandians! eh.
14th May 2020

Brr
Such a lovely virtual trip you made for your readers. I could feel the wind in my hair, the clean air and the adventure of the experience. Thanks for creating such a creative diary for your followers. Love to you both!
15th May 2020

Brr
Yes lots of wind in our hair! It was amazing. We will remember this one for decades to come.
16th May 2020

You Did It, Red Nose Winners
Wow,what an amazing trip. You were able to see so much beauty of nature while being pampered and entertained. I am so happy you were able to do this, and so glad you made it there before the world shut down. Thanks for the stories, even if there were after the fact. They still rocked.
16th May 2020

You did it, Red Nose Winners
Indeed one amazing trip!. Life on board was very comfortable. We loved going out on deck to enjoy birds and search for whales, seals and penguins. Our return timing was great. Thanks for following along and commenting.
16th May 2020

Close encounters with whales and penguins
Wow, again you had so many close encounters with whales and penguins. I can imagine you could always have stayed around for longer to watch them. How brave of Julian to plunge into the feezing cold water. Bravo!
17th May 2020

Close encounters with whales and penguins
We loved this trip and wonder if we might take it again at some point in the future. So many great penguins and whales.
16th May 2020

Antarctic Ambassadors!
Hi Merry Jo and Dave, I have enjoyed every minute reading about your Antarctic adventures -- you're both such great ambassadors for visiting the 7th continent. I still hope to visit there someday if I am able to talk my hubby into it as he's an old salt anyway. Quark Expeditions sounds like the ultimate company to travel with for experiences as well as insisting on being so totally environmentally conscientious. Your photos are beyond words!
17th May 2020

Antarctic Ambassadors!
I do hope you can talk your husband into this trip and we highly recommend Quark. They are leaders in Antarctica explorations. Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate you following along and commenting.
18th May 2020

The icy continent and penguins
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful experience in the company of whales, different kinds of penguins, fellow travelers who too were as excited as you were and the majestic icy wonderland that Antarctica is.
18th May 2020

The icy continent and penguins
Good hearing from you Hem. its of whales, seals, penguins and great people. Amazing mountains and clear waters abound. Antarctica is so special.... an icy wonderland indeed. Thanks for commenting.
19th May 2020

Blogging in Real Time
I too, prefer blogging in real time, while I am on the trip. It makes for some late nights but I much prefer blogging as I go. What an incredible experience! I really enjoyed reading about it and seeing all your fantastic photos. I hope someday to see Antarctica.
20th May 2020

Blogging in Real Time
I'm glad to hear there are others out there that prefer this. It is best for us to write while we are connected to the emotions and feelings. Antarctica was grand and we hope you get there.
20th May 2020
Clear waters show hidden ice

Ah, the tip of the iceberg :)
Loving how your excitement and love of this trip shines through! I think penguins are weird but so cute and amazing... have you seen the video of the BBC sports commentator who 'called' a penguin parade in Australia? I think you'll like it :)
23rd May 2020
Clear waters show hidden ice

The tip of the Iceberg
I saw the penguin parade... that was clever. It was a marvelous trip. I'm glad our joy came through in our writing.
22nd May 2020

Great pics again
Love those carved ice views. Some interesting snippets in there too. I think the rule that a man must have rounded the horn to have an earing should be international law. I shall not put my foot on the coffee table again! Interesting also that you've come to the conclusion that you don't like writing blogs after a trip. I take notes on the trip but I find writing later gives me the benefit of hindsight and an overview. Can't wait to get travelling again...
23rd May 2020

Great pics again
We'd love to travel again also.... we find that writing during the trip captures our true excitement and emotions. We all have our own methods. Your comments made me laugh. Thanks for following along.
24th May 2020

A trip to remember
The documentary is excellent and experience is out of the world. You are lucky, you covered Antarctica. By the time I am ready, not sure there would be further restrictions. Oh yes, despite I am from the winter wonderland, I shivered when I read about the polar jumps and I don't envy the folks who did - hats off to them and relieved that Dave skipped it. 'MJ did it earlier' ...well no comment MJ :):)
26th May 2020

A trip to remember
I've been thinking about you so it is great hearing from you. An out of the world experience indeed. Antarctica was magical. You'll have to do the polar plunge.
13th June 2020

Congratulations
Saw your recent blog entry from Tuolo and it reminded me that I wanted to congratulate on your trip to Antarctica. It inspired me to start looking into it, but then the quarantine hit. Maybe next year.
13th June 2020

Tupelo and Antarctica
Jon, good hearing from you. You must continue o plan Antarctica.... it was the voyage of a lifetime. I imagine you can get a discount on the trip right now for next year. We highly recommend it. Let us know if you have any questions.
13th June 2020

Number 7
Elusive continent #7, the one that got away from us. Congrats on taking on, and conquering, the frozen south. Great pictures and tales that we enjoyed reading. Perhaps one day we hope to follow in your footsteps. So glad you got it in before the cruise ships stopped. Looking forward to your future adventures! Dave and Nanci
13th June 2020

Number 7
We really hope you can get there as it was amazing! Well worth every expensive penny. Make sure you take a trip that will get you to the South Georgia Islands also. Dreamy. Good hearing from you and thank you for commenting.
14th June 2020

Thank you!
Thank you so much for taking me with you on your incredible journey to Antarctica, Merry Jo and Dave ? I have really enjoyed reading every part of it, and can just imagine the serene silence and beauty, interspersed by the amazing wildlife and lovely penguins. A wonderful travel adventure indeed ?
14th June 2020

Thank you!
Indeed it was an incredible journey, Alex. We had many wonderful trips but we keep talking about this one. It was in a class of its own. It wouldn't surprise me if we went back some day. The wildlife was unmatched in many ways..... and the serenity. Thanks for commenting.
23rd July 2020

Real time blogging
Dave and MJ , You may have not had the opportunity to blog in real time but it certainly didn’t come over to me reading about your amazing adventures. I could feel the emotion of it all and the awe and wonder was captured in your writing and photos. In this time when we are all subject to various travel restrictions it was great to read and be transported to the 7 th continent ....thank you both. Lynne
23rd July 2020

Real Time Blogging
Hello Lynne, I'm glad you could feel our enthusiasm for this part of the world. Stunning beauty every direction. We returned two days before the world shut down.
16th October 2020

The end
I am feeling sad this is your last blog in Antarctica. It really does seem like you guys had a blast. The water coming onboard sounds scary; It is literally the only thing that scares me about the trip is when the sea gets rough. I can't cope with too much motion.
17th October 2020

The end
Water coming on board is not frequent. They pass out meds for the sea sickness like they are chiclits. You will be fine most of the time. It is well worth it. We had a blast.
1st May 2021
A toast!

Great Pic and Blog!!!
Antarctica is my final frontier... my last continent. I hope Megan and I will ski there within the next couple/few years. Thanks for sharing all your great adventures!!!
1st May 2021
A toast!

Great pic and blog
Thanks for following along and commenting. Antarctica is an amazing land. I hope you get to go soon.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 27; qc: 40; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb