Out and about in Antarctica


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » McMurdo Station
December 24th 2005
Published: December 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The ShuttleThe ShuttleThe Shuttle

This large truck transports people between McMurdo, Scott Base, and Willie Field.
Much of McMurdo was closed today because of the holiday. Many people spent this time hiking, eating, and relaxing. In the morning, we spent much of our time using the internet to upload photos and perform various tasks. Our team decided to use our afternoon for tourism.

We met out at Derelict Junction to catch a ride to Scott Base. Scott Base is the Kiwi (New Zealand) base about a mile and a half from McMurdo. Only the store is open for Americans most of the time. Otherwise, you must be invited to be at their base.

We rode along in a large vehicle simply called a shuttle around here, which is designed to drive on the sea ice. Its tires were almost as tall as I am. Half way to Scott Base, we decided to continue on with the shuttle ride out to Willie Field. This airfield is located on more stable sea ice than Pegasus Field. It is used for LC-130 Hercules takeoffs and landings. We took a few minutes taking photos and watch the Hercs come in for a landing.

The shuttle gathered up so Air National Guardsmen and drove back to McMurdo. We did
Big WheelsBig WheelsBig Wheels

The shuttle is huge. For comparison, I decided to stand next to a tire.
not notify the driver and missed the stop at Scott Base. We will have to visit the store some other time.

Once back in McMurdo, we hiked out to Hut Point. This is the location of Scott’s Hut constructed for his first Antarctic mission aboard the Discovery. The hut was of poor design and thus was more often used for meetings and storage than it was used for crew quarters. We attempted to take the ridge hike back.

Along the way, we were able to view some Elephant Seals. Penguins are not likely to be found, but the seals are now more common as the sea ice is beginning to break up. Off in the distance, we can see a Russian ice breaker. It is due to arrive at McMurdo in about two days.

After the hike, I spent some time trying to contact my wife, but could not get a line through to the states. There are only a limited number of lines back to the states. Everyone is trying to call home because of the Christmas Holiday. After midnight CST, I gave up since I did not want to risk waking anyone at home.
Willie FieldWillie FieldWillie Field

Willie Field is used for LC130 Hercules takeoffs and landings.

All data and voice communication is transmitted to Black Island where a satellite uplink is located. Like McMurdo, Mt. Erebus is also located on Ross Island, which blocks many of the satellites along the northern horizon

Tomorrow, we are set to climb Observation (Obs) Hill to view the surrounding area and perhaps get a better view of Erebus.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Richard at Willie FieldRichard at Willie Field
Richard at Willie Field

I am posing next to a flag at Willie Field
Scott's HutScott's Hut
Scott's Hut

This is the Hut used by Scott to support his Antarctic mission aboard the Discovery.
Vince's CrossVince's Cross
Vince's Cross

Vince was a crew member of the Discovery. He fell to his death and became McMurdo's first human fatality. This cross was erected in his memory.


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb