Antarctica; 2007 - 2008 Season


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » McMurdo Station
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Outside Raytheon Polar Services headquarters. Boarding bus in Denver, Co for our flight to New Zealand.
McMurdo Station sits with in the Ross Dependency, and is the largest community in Antarctica (capable of supporting up to 1,258 residents and a science research center operated by the United States through the United States Antarctic Program, a branch of the National Science Foundation. Located at 77°51′S, 166°40′E, McMurdo sits on the southern tip of Ross Island in Antarctica, on the shore of McMurdo Sound, 2,200 miles (3,500 km) due south of New Zealand. The station is America's largest, and serves both as their Antarctic research facility, and the logistics base for half the continent. All personnel and cargo going to or coming from Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station first pass through McMurdo.

The station owes its designation to nearby McMurdo Sound, named for Lieutenant Archibald McMurdo of HMS Terror, which first charted the area in 1841 under the command of British explorer James Clark Ross. British explorer Robert Falcon Scott first established a base close to this spot in 1902 and built Discovery Hut, still standing adjacent to the harbor at Hut Point. The volcanic rock of the site is the southern-most bare ground accessible by ship in the Antarctic ("Facts About the United States Antarctic Program"). The United
Travelling to AntarcticaTravelling to AntarcticaTravelling to Antarctica

Information rack in Auckland, New Zealand.
States officially opened its first station at McMurdo on February 16, 1956. Founders initially called the station Naval Air Facility McMurdo.
McMurdo became the center of scientific and logistical operations during the International Geophysical Year, an international scientific effort that lasted from July 1, 1957, to December 31, 1958. The Antarctic Treaty, now signed by over 45 nations, regulates international relations with respect to Antarctica and governs the conduct of daily life at McMurdo for USAP participants. The Antarctic Treaty and related agreements, collectively called the Antarctic Treaty System or ATS, was opened for signature on December 1, 1959, and officially entered into force on June 23, 1961.

Today, McMurdo Station is Antarctica's largest community and a functional, modern day science station, which includes a harbour, 3 airfields (2 seasonal), a heliport and over 100 buildings, including the Albert P. Crary Science and Engineering Center and a bowling alley with an antique Brunswick manual pinset machine. There is even a 9-hole disc golf course on site. The primary focus of the work done at McMurdo Station is science, but most of the residents (approximately 1,000 in the summer and fewer than 200 in the winter) are not scientists, but
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Post card rack in Auckland, New Zealand.
station personnel who are there to provide support for operations, logistics, information technology, construction, and maintenance.

Scientists and station personnel at McMurdo are participants in the United States Antarctic Program (USAP), which co-ordinates research and operational support in the region. Reports on the life and culture of McMurdo Station from the point of view of residents are rare.
An annual sealift by cargo ships as part of Operation Deep Freeze delivers 8 million gallons of fuel and 11 million pounds of supplies and equipment for McMurdo residents. The ships are operated by the U.S. Military Sealift Command and are crewed by civilian mariners. Cargo may range from mail, construction materials, trucks, tractors, dry and frozen food, to scientific instruments. United States Coast Guard icebreakers break a ship channel through ice-clogged McMurdo Sound in order for supply ships to reach Winter Quarters Bay at McMurdo. Additional supplies and personnel are flown in to nearby Williams Field from Christchurch, New Zealand. A variety of fruits and vegetables are grown in a hydroponic green house at the station.

McMurdo Station is about 5 km away from Scott Base, the New Zealand science station, and the entire island is located within New
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Post card rack in Auckland, New Zealand.
Zealand's Ross Dependency Antarctic claim. Recently there has been criticism leveled at the base regarding its construction projects, particularly the McMurdo-South Pole highway.

McMurdo has attempted to improve environmental management and waste removal over the past decade in order to adhere to the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty, which was signed 4 October 1991 and entered into force 14 January 1998. This agreement prevents development and provides for the protection of the Antarctic environment through five specific annexes on marine pollution, fauna, and flora, environmental impact assessments, waste management, and protected areas. It prohibits all activities relating to mineral resources except scientific. Adhering to the Protocol, a new waste treatment facility was built at McMurdo in 2003. McMurdo (nicknamed "Mac-Town" by its residents) continues to operate as the hub for American activities on the Antarctic continent.
The Albert P. Crary Science and Engineering Center (CSEC), located at McMurdo Station, was dedicated in November 1991 by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The laboratory is named in honor of geophysicist and glaciologist Albert P. Crary. There are five pods making for 4,320 square meters of working area that includes a two-story core, a biology pod, earth sciences and
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Post card rack in Auckland, New Zealand.
atmospheric sciences pods, and an aquarium.

The Ice Runway is the principal runway for the US Antarctic Program during the summer Antarctic field season due to its proximity to McMurdo Station. During the 2007/2008 season the ice runway was located about 3 miles from McMurdo. The other two runways in the area are the snow runway at Williams Field and the blue ice runway at Pegasus Field.
This ice runway being made of 6-10 foot thick ice floating on the waters of the Ross Sea is capable of handing wheeled aircraft, that have included to date: Lockheed C-5 Galaxy, Lockheed C-141 Starlifter, Boeing C-17 Globemaster III, Lockheed C-130 Hercules and Lockheed P-3 Orion.
The annual sea-ice runway for wheeled aircraft is constructed at the start of each season and is used until early December when the sea ice begins to break up. Subsequently flight operations are moved back to Williams Field. Pilots landing C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft on the sea ice runway report that the surface is stable, not unlike landing on concrete. However, the similarity with land bases ends when the jet aircraft rolls to a stop. The nearly 450,000 pound weight of the plane, including cargo
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Post card rack in Auckland, New Zealand.
and passengers, causes it to sink into the ice, albeit only a matter of inches. A laser light is trained on the aircraft to measure the settlement rate. The $200 million aircraft is moved to a new location on the six-foot-thick ice as a safety measure if the 10-inch red line is reached.


Williams Field or Willies Field is the United States Antarctic Program's principal airfield in Antarctica. Williams Field is a snow runway located on approximately 8 meters (25 ft) of compacted snow, lying on top of 80 meters (262 ft) of ice, floating over 550 meters (1,800 ft) of water The airport, which is approximately seven miles from Ross Island, serves McMurdo Station and New Zealand’s Scott Base. In addition, Williams is the major airfield for on-continent aircraft operations in Antarctica.
Williams Field is named in honor of Richard T. Williams, a U.S. Navy equipment operator who drowned when his D-8 tractor broke through the ice January 6, 1956. Williams and other personnel were participants in the first Operation Deep Freeze, a U.S. military mission to build a permanent science research station at McMurdo in anticipation of the International Geophysical Year 1957-58.
The skiway is typically
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Post card rack in Auckland, New Zealand.
in operation from December through the end of February. Other McMurdo Station airfields include the Annual Sea-Ice Runway (October through December) and the Pegasus Blue-Ice Runway used in August and December through February of each season.

The Williams Field snow runway is known locally as "Willys Field." The airfield is a groomed snow surface that can support ski-equipped aircraft landings only. A cluster of facilities for flight operations, referred to as "Willy Town," includes several rows of containers for workers and a galley. Some of the buildings are relocated to support flight operations at the nearby Sea ice runway and the distant Pegasus blue ice runway.

Aviation fuel at Williams Field is pumped in a 16 km (10 mi) flexible pipe from McMurdo Station. Fuel is stored in up to 12 tanks. The fuel tanks, like other structures at the airfield, are mounted on skis or runners for portability.

The extraordinary conditions encountered at Wiilliams Field include the fact that the airfield is in a continuous slow slide towards the sea. Seaward movement of the floating McMurdo Ice Shelf upon which the airfield is constructed has forced Williams Field to be relocated three times since its original
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Teddy bears escaping an apartment in Christchurch, New Zealand.
construction. Workers last moved the airfield during the 1984-85 season.

Pegasus Field the farthest south of McMurdo Station's three frozen airstrips. The 3050 m (10,000-ft) Pegasus glacial ice runway, located on the Ross Ice Shelf 13 miles south of McMurdo, Antarctica. This blue ice runway is used for wheeled aircraft which can not land at the busier Williams Field runway, which is snow instead of the hard ice like at Pegasus Field.
Pegasus Field is named after a C-121 Lockheed Constellation christened "Pegasus" which is still visible in the snow there. On October 8, 1970, the "Pegasus" crashed in bad weather. No one on board was injured. However, the plane remains and gives this place its name.
The primary benefit of the Pegasus runway to the U.S. Antarctic Program is its ability to support heavy wheeled aircraft for most of the period of mid-December through April. In the past, only ski-equipped aircraft could land in the McMurdo area during this time period. The Pegasus runway allows increased payloads for the C-17’s and provides access for virtually any conventional aircraft.

Long Duration Baloon
The National Science Foundation (NSF), through its Office of Polar Programs, supports long-duration balloon (LDB) flights
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

A variety of cold weather clothing we are issued on display.
in Antarctica to conduct astrophysical experiments. Circling the continent on unique stratospheric winds at altitudes of roughly 37 kilometers (22.9 miles) for periods of up to 31 days, experiments operate in an area that is almost free of atmospheric interference. For some experiments, this provides scientists with conditions equivalent to flight aboard a satellite or the space shuttle, at much lower cost.
Two unique geophysical conditions above Antarctica make long-duration balloon flights that circumnavigate the continent possible during the austral summer:
• First, a nearly circular pattern of gentle east-to-west winds establishes itself in the Antarctic stratosphere lasting for a few weeks. The circulation is generated by a long-lived high-pressure area caused by the constant solar heating of the stratosphere. This allows the launching and recovery of a balloon from roughly the same geographic location and permits a flight path that is almost entirely over land.
• Second, because the sun never sets during the austral summer, the balloon is illuminated continuously, both directly and by reflection from the underlying clouds or snow. As a result, the balloon maintains a constant temperature and is able to maintain a stable altitude. In other areas of the world, the daily heating and
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

A variety of cold weather clothing we are issued on display.
cooling cycles change the volume of gas in the balloon, causing it to rise and fall and expend ballast, severely limiting flight times.
As an international zone under the Antarctic Treaty, balloons can be launched, flown and recovered anywhere on the continent without diplomatic complications experienced in other areas of the globe.

Since 1988, NSF and NASA have developed techniques for flying and recovering large balloon payloads -- in the range of two tons -- at altitudes of roughly 37 kilometers (22.9 miles) for extended periods.
Over the past decade there have been LDB flights in most Antarctic research seasons -- roughly mid-December through mid-January -- frequently with two balloons being flown during the season.
During the 2001-2002 Antarctic research season, the balloon-borne Trans-Iron Galactic Element Recorder (TIGER) experiment, designed to search for the origin of cosmic rays, achieved a flight-duration record over Antarctica. Launched at 6:30 a.m. EST on Dec. 20, 2001, the balloon traveled approximately 1,400 kilometers (869 miles) before landing, 31 days, 20 hours later, at 3:03 a.m. EST, Jan. 21, 458 kilometers (284 miles) from McMurdo Station, NSF's logistical hub in Antarctica.


A Christmas message from our big boss giving us the stats
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Karl waiting to board air Force C-17, in Christchurch New Zealand.
so far for this 2007/2008 season.
I wanted to take a minute to not only wish everyone in ATO a great holiday season but to also thank you for all the hard work thus far this season. When the days blend together and it becomes difficult to tell one from the other we tend to loose sight of just how much we have accomplished during the last few months. When I see the numbers I have no doubt that we are coming into a well deserved break.

According to my office door everyone loves mail! Well I believe it since we have processed 24,779 lbs of mail off station this season. I know your more interested in how much we received. Well that number is an impressive 72,477 lbs! Thanks to our friendly postal staff and mailroom staff, not to mention all the volunteer help, everyone received their mail. Thanks for a job well done.

The Shuttles department is an integral part of the ATO operation and until you realize just how many personnel rely on our service you can't understand just how important a job the shuttle staff does. And always in a cheerful and professional manner
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Looking at Antarctica from C-17. traveling between New Zealand and Antarctica.
that makes for a pleasant experience. Well maybe their magic can't please everyone when we are riding deltas all the time! Some passenger numbers for your pleasure.

Ice Runway Shuttle made 2,187 round trips and carried 6,755 passengers.

Williams Field Shuttle has made 995 round trips and carried 3,907 passengers

Scott Base Shuttle has made 385 trips and carried 1,773 passengers.
LDB support has made 162 round trips and carried 2,202 passengers.
Town Taxi has made 4,113 trips and carried 7,059 passengers.
Ice Taxi has made 462 trips and carried 1,803 passengers.
Williams Taxi has made 353 runs and carried 2,543 passengers.
That is over 26,000 passengers carried and that does not include the passengers moved for flights. Great Job!

What would the town do without the Courier service? A lot of walking around delivering interoffice correspondence. 4,441 runs delivering 3,039 packages. That is a great time saver for the community.

We sometimes forget our coworkers at USAP Cargo across town. However they play a very important role in making the science in this program work. Cargo processed so far this season is 108,963 lbs. Science cargo delivered is 781,491 lbs.

Hazardous cargo processed
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Looking at Antarctica from C-17. traveling between New Zealand and Antarctica.
this season between rotary wing and fixed wing is 2,131 pieces. All this with only 7 people! Then they only have one person to coordinate all the South Pole cargo, which is the majority of the flight operations this season. USAP Cargo rocks!

I feel I should mention the great work the WAIS Divide cargo coordinator had done also. Although this position is a Science Support division position the work directly impacts our world and I think of it as an ATO position and part of the family.

Our passenger movements have totaled 3,803 passengers and the Air Services staff have always been dedicated to customer service even when that has been difficult. Thanks for all you hard work under what is sometimes difficult conditions. What would they do without you?


Whew! I got tried just posting all these numbers, yes you all deserve a holiday. All this is very impressive and can only happen with everyone working together and staying focused on the mission. I am very happy to be working with all of you and wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy your time off and take care to watch out for each
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Looking at Antarctica from C-17. traveling between New Zealand and Antarctica.
other and be safe.

Arctic Class Icebreaker
Owner and Manager: Swedish Maritime Administration, Norrköping, Sweden
Builder: Götaverken, Arendal, Sweden
Delivered: 1988

Oden is one of seven icebreakers operated by the Swedish Maritime Administration. Icebreaker ODEN is designed for escort ice-breaking and for Arctic research operations. ODEN is very flexible and can carry scientific equipment, container labs, frozen storage, containers, deep drilling equipment for geological purposes, etc.

Main Characteristics
Length over all: 107.8 m
Beam over reamers: 29.4 m
Beam extreme: 31.0 m
Beam midships: 25.0 m
Depth to upper deck: 12.0 m
Draft operation: 7.0 - 8.5 m
Displacement: 11.000 - 13.000 tonnes
Grt: 9.438
Classification: DNV 1A1 Icebreaker POLAR - 20 E0, Hel DK, CRANE, NAUT-B
Capacities
Heavy fuel oil: 3380 m3
Diesel oil: 990 m3
Lubricating oil: 100 m3
Fresh water: 310 m3
Ballast water incl. heeling tanks: 3650 m3
Fresh water generator: 20 m3/day
Provision: 80 people in 100 days, can be increased by containers on deck
Performance
Icebreaking capability: 1.9 m level ice at 3 knots
Turning radius in 0.8 m ice: 1 ship length
Speed in open water: 16 knots
Endurance: 30.000 nautical miles in open sea at 13 knots or 100
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Inside C-17 on way to McMurdo, Antarctica.
days
Machinery
Propulsion: 4 medium speed 8-cylinder diesel engines, Sulzer ZAL4OS, 2 dual input singel output reduction gears, 2 CP propellers in nozzles, LIPS
Total power: 18.0 MW (24.500 hp)
Electric power plant: 4 medium speed 6-cylinder diesel engines
Jet thruster/hull wash system: Sulzer AT25H
Heeling system: one emergency diesel
Total power: 5.4 MW
Capacity: 2 centrifugal pumps, Scanpump 9.000/11.000 m3/h each, 2 pair of tanks, working volume 800 m3, 2 propeller pumps, JW Berg, capacity: 45.000 m3/h each
Deck Equipment
Towing winch: 150 tonnes towing pull break holding 300 tonnes, Pusnes
A-frame: 15 tonnes
Crane on after deck: 10 tonnes at radius 10 m, 1.7 tonnes at radius 32 m, Hydralift
Skylift on fore deck: hook load 1.5 tonnes in basket, 0.3 tonnes at 18.7 m, Hydralift
CONTAINER CAPACITY: 40 TEU, containers can be connected to ship's system, such as electricity, communication, water, sewage etc.
BERTHS ONBOARD:
Crew: 15
Available: 65
Total: 80

Accomodation
CABINS: All cabins are of excellent standard.
4 cabins type A on 2nd and 3rd deck
12 cabins type B on 2nd and 3rd deck
12 cabins type C on 1st deck
1 owners cabin on 4th deck
1 spare cabin on 4th deck
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Karl onboard Air Force C-17 somewhere between Christchurch NZ and Mc Murdo Antarctica.

3 spare cabins on 5th deck

ACCOMMODATION:
1 messroom for 65-80 people
2 dayrooms
1 library
1 conference room with a small galley
2 saunas with showers and relaxing rooms
1 gymnasium
1 hospital with surgery and dispensary
2 laundries
1 radio room (remote controlled from the bridge)
1 main galley
1 elevator for 3 people

NAUTICAL EQUIPMENT:
3 x-band, Sperry Rascar
1 S-band, Sperry Rascar
Integrated navigation system with workstations
GPS - compass
AECDIS, Adveto
GPS
DGPS/Glonass
Decca
LoranC
Director finder
VHF director finder
GPS log
SAL log
Echosounder, Simrad
Deep sea echosounder, Atlas Deso
2 gyro compass systems, Sperry Mk 37
Autopilot, Steermaster 2000

COMMUNICATION:
GMDSS certified acc SOLAS A4
1 LF/MF/HF transceivers
1 DSC LF/MF/HF
1 Satellite, InmarsatB
3 VHF marine band
1 DSC VHF
1 VHF aviation band
10 portable VHFs
1 Weather chart telefax
1 receiver for radarsat images about the ice situation

INTERNAL COMMUNICATION:
Telephone system
Emergency telephone system
Intercom system
Paging system
Broadcast videosystem
Cassette radio in each cabin

LIFESAVING EQUIPMENT:
2 fully covered lifeboats for 43 people each, 6 inflatable liferafts for 75 people, 2 immersion suits for each person, one in the cabin, one in the
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Onboard Air Force C-17 somewhere between Christchurch NZ and Mc Murdo Antarctica.
working area

A WEEK In RECREATION AT MCMURDO
Tried of being quarantined… no Coffeehouse…no Diet Coke…things are canceled…well, at least you can look forward to the…

Week in Rec.

(scroll to the end for special NIGHT SHIFT section)
Sign ups for Pegasus Trips Wednesday at Noon.
January 21st- January 27th
Monday, January 21st

Library Open 6:30am - 8:00am
Gear Issue Open 5.30pm - 6.30pm
Catholic Mass in the Chapel - 5:45pm
Library Open 6.00pm - 10.00pm
Yoga in the Chapel

Instructor Led!

6:30pm - 7:30pm
Women’s Group “Believing God”

Chapel Office
7:00pm
Craft Room Open 7pm-9pm
Tap Dancing

7:00pm - 8:00 pm

Barb’s Laundry Room



Ross Island Yacht Club of Antarctica Gathering

Appetizers will be served and BYOB

Location TBA



Polar-Palooza

"Stories from a Changing Planet"

New videos from the Arctic & Antarctic

In the Galley at 8:30pm

Ceramics Studio Open & Attendant on Duty 7.00pm - 9.00pm

Alcoholics Anonymous in the Chapel - 8:00pm

---------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, January 22th

Men’s Group and Prayer 6am in the Chapel



Southern Day Bar
Traveling to AntarcticaTraveling to AntarcticaTraveling to Antarctica

Onboard Air Force C-17 somewhere between Christchurch NZ and Mc Murdo Antarctica.
7am-11am

Morning Library Hours 8:30am-2:30pm

Outing Club sign up at 12pm (Noon)

Sat. 1/26pm - Sun 12pm.

This is an overnight camping trip to Snow Mound City. Last trip!

Gear Issue Open 5.30pm - 6.30pm

Catholic Mass in the Chapel - 5:45pm

Library Open 6.00pm - 10pm



Craft Room Open 7pm-9pm

Outdoor Safety Lecture, upstairs Crary Lab 7pm

Stitch & Bitch 7:00pm 208 2nd Floor Lounge

Faith Discussion - 7:00pm at the Chapel

Guts and Butts Class 7:15-8:15pm in Barb’s Laundry Room 155


TRAVELOGUE!

“The Falkland Islands”

Presented by Cara Sucher

January 22, 2008

Galley 8:30 pm



---------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 23rd



Library Open 7:00am - 11am



Pegasus Trips sign ups at 12pm (Noon)

on the Rec Board in HWY 1

One day only! Sunday, January 27th.



Gear Issue Open 5.30pm - 6.30pm

Catholic Mass in the Chapel - 5:45pm

New class...

McMur-Bo

(a Circuit Training Adventure)

6pm-7pm in the Big Gym by the Helo Pad



Library Open
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

The shuttle stop, McMurdo.
6.00pm - 10.00pm



Yoga in the Chapel

Instructor Led!

6:30pm - 8:00pm



Craft Room Open 7pm-9pm

Ceramics Studio Open & Attendant on Duty 7.00pm - 9.00pm

Burger Bar at Gallagher's 7.00pm - 9.00pm



Rowdy Girls Night

7:30pm-ish -- Gallagher’s

Hang with the rowdy girls of McMurdo



Cosmic Bowling

with Jane and Julie

At McMurdo’s Bowling Alley 7pm-10pm Sign up on the Rec Board

Volleyball Championship Game

7:15 pm at the Big Gym

Wednesday Night Science Lecture

7:30 pm upstairs in the Crary Lab

Presented by David Ainley

Title: TBA - check Rec board for more information



special presentation:

Larry and Susan’s Canoe Trip

46 days in Canada’s NW Territories

7:30pm in the FSTP classroom

---------------------------------------------

Thursday, January 24th



Early Morning Library Hours 12:30am-1:30am



Men’s Group and Prayer 6am in the Chapel



Southern Day Bar 7am-11am



Morning Library Hours 8:30am-10:30am

Gear Issue Open 5.30pm - 6.30pm

Catholic Mass in the Chapel -
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

Hiking trails outside of McMurdo.
5:45pm

Library Open 6:00pm - 10:00pm

American Night at Scott Base
Scott Base Store Open 6:30pm - 8:00pm
Shuttles leave Derelict Junction every 30min. Starting at 6:30pm
Shuttles leave Scott Base every 30min. From 6:45pm-10:45pm



Craft Room Open 7pm-9pm

Bible Study- 7:00pm at the Chapel

Guts and Butts Class 7:15-8:15pm in Barb’s Laundry Room 155

Tap Dancing

8:15pm - 9:15 pm

Barb’s Laundry Room



TRAVELOGUE!

TBA

Galley 8:30 pm

----------------------------------------------

Friday, January 25th

Library Open 9:00am - 11:00am



Morning Gear Issue 7:30am-8:30am



Morning Bowling 7:30-9:30 am





Gear Issue Open 5.30pm - 6.30pm


Catholic Mass in the Chapel - 5:45pm



Library Open 6:00pm - 10:00pm



New class...

McMur-Bo

(a Circuit Training Adventure)

6pm-7pm in the Big Gym by the Helo Pad



Yoga in the Chapel

Instructor Led!

7:00pm - 8:00pm



Women’s Group “Believing God”

Chapel Office

7:00pm



Burger Bar at Gallagher's 7.00pm - 9.00pm


Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

Above McMurdo in one of the storage yards.

Craft Room Open 7pm-9pm

Ceramics Studio Open & Attendant on Duty 7.00pm - 9.00pm

Open Basketball in the Gym 7:00pm - 10:00pm

----------------------------------------------
Saturday, January 26th



Southern Day Bar 7am-11am



Library Open 7:00am to 9:00am



Outdoor Safety Lecture

Where? Upstairs Crary Lab 10:30am



Gear Issue 12pm-1pm



Library Open 4:00pm to 10:00pm



Ballroom Dance Class

6-7pm in the Big Gym

Intro to Mambo



Gear Issue 5:30pm-6:30pm



Waste Barn Party 8pm



PORN SPILL

Featuring: Jimmy Large, Boom Boom, Mashed Potato, Poopsie Starfish, Tasty Crumbles, Peaches Delite



with special guests Don Juan Pond & Muschnuckle

---------------------------------------------
Sunday, January 27th

Southern Day Bar 7am-1pm

LDS Sunday Chapel Services 8:30am

Catholic Sunday Chapel Services 9:45am

Protestant Sunday Chapel Service 11:00am

All musicians and vocalists welcome!

Library Open 9:00am to 10:00pm

Open Gym Hours

Ultimate Frisbee 12pm-1pm

Competitive Volleyball in the Gym 1:00pm-2:00pm

Open Volleyball in the Gym 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Open Basketball in the Gym 4:00pm
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

Above McMurdo in one of the storage yards.
- 6:00pm
Open Soccer in the Gym 7:00pm - 9:00pm




Crary Lab Tours 2.00pm



Craft Room Open 2pm-4pm



Yoga in the Chapel

Instructor Led!

4:00pm - 5:15pm

Burger Bar at Gallagher's 5.00pm - 8.00pm

Sunday Night Science Lecture

8:15 pm in the Galley

TBA



-------------------------------------------------

General Announcements:

Filmmakers...Last week to get your 5-minute short together!

Here comes the Antarctic Film Festival! To get on the information mailing list, email MCM-Recreation.

Due date is Monday, Jan. 28th - 7:30am in the Rec Office.

Screening date TBA.



Hut 10 cannot be reserved from the 8th to the 15th due to DV visits and repairs. The next opportunity for block a date will be February 1st.





The McMurdo Library is Open

Come and grab tea and hot chocolate with us…

We have three internet ports!

Thousands of books for check out!

Current Magazines and Travel Guides!



Recreation Travel : Please check the Recreational Travel Board (next to the Barber Shop) and the eFoot Plan
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

Above McMurdo in one of the storage yards.
site for current recreational travel restrictions.




Facilities Hours:

(Please note that hours may change due to volunteers and unexpected occurrences)



Library Hours:

Monday 6:30am- 8am, 6:00-10:00pm
Tuesday 8:30am-2:30pm, 6:00-10pm

Wednesday 7am-11am, 6:00-10:00pm

Thursday 12:30-1:30am, 8:30am-10:30am, 6:00-10:00pm

Friday 9am-11am, 6:00pm-10:00pm
Saturday 7am-9am, 4:00- 10:00pm
Sunday 9am-10pm



Gear Issue:

Monday-Saturday 5:30-6:30pm

Lunch Shift Saturday 12am-1pm



Morning Friday 7:30-8:30am



CRAFT ROOM FACILITY HOURS:

Mon.-Fri. 7-9pm

Sun. 2-4pm



Ceramics Studio

Mon., Wed, Fri. 7-9pm



Bar Hours This Week:
Coffee House is closed until further notice due to repairs.



Southern

Monday Closed

Tues.-Fri. 7pm - 11pm

Sat. 7am - 11am, 7pm - 1am

Sun. 7am-1pm, 5:30pm - 10pm

DAY Bar (at Southern) Tues. & Thurs. 7am - 11am



Gallagher’s

Monday Closed

Tues.-Fri. 7pm - 11pm

Sat. 7pm - 1am

Sunday 5-10pm



Burger Bar (at Gallagher’s)

Wed. and Fri. 7pm - 9pm

Sun. 5pm - 8pm



Station Store Hours This Week:
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

One of several different kinds of passanger transpertation in McMurdo.


Monday, Tuesday 7:00-8:00am, 11:30-1:00pm, and 5:30-7:30pm

Wednesday Closed

Thursday-Saturday 7:00-8:00am, 11:30-1:00pm, and 5:30-7:30pm

Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm

Night in REC

Please email MCM-Rec with any updates, additions and information you would like to share. We're looking for morning pinsetters, gear issue attendants, other paid positions and volunteers.

Monday

Morning Library Hours 6:30am-8am

Tuesday

Men’s Group and Prayer 6am in the Chapel

Southern Day Bar 7am-11am

Morning Library Hours 8:30am-2pm

Wednesday

Morning Library Hours 7:00am-11:00am

Thursday

Early Morning Library Hours 12:30am-1:30am



Men’s Group and Prayer 6am in the Chapel

Southern Day Bar 7am-11am

Morning Library Hours 8:30am-10:30am



Friday

Morning Gear Issue 7:30am-8:30am



Morning Bowling 7:30-9:30 am

Morning Library Hours 9:00am-11:00am

Saturday

Morning Library Hours 7:00am-9:00am

Southern Day Bar 7am-11am



Sunday

Southern Day Bar 7am-1pm

LDS Sunday Chapel Services 8:30am

Catholic Sunday Chapel Services 9:45am

Protestant Sunday Chapel Service 11:00am

All musicians and vocalists welcome!



Library Open 9:00am to 10pm

R/V Nathaniel B. Palmer
In 1992, Edison
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

Karl's bed and his side of four person room
Chouest Offshore Inc., Galliano, Louisiana, built and delivered a 94-meter research ship with icebreaking capability for use by the U.S. Antarctic Program for 10 years or more. The ship, Nathaniel B. Palmer, is a first-rate platform for global change studies, including biological, oceanographic, geological, and geophysical components. It can operate safely year-round in Antarctic waters that often are stormy or covered with sea ice. It accommodates 37 scientists, has a crew of 22, and is capable of 75-day missions. For ship deck layouts, lab photographs, schedules, equipment, ship user committee issues and a variety of other information regarding USAP research ships, go to the Raytheon Polar Services Company (RSPC) marine sciences web site. For specific information about cruises schedules, scientific equipment and other related science support information, see RSPC's the Nathaniel B. Palmer web page at http://www.polar.org/marine/nbp/nbpindex.html.

The ship is named the Nathaniel B. Palmer to commemorate the American credited with first seeing Antarctica. Nathaniel Brown Palmer, then 21 years old, commanded the 14-meter sloop Hero, which on 16 and 17 November 1820 entered Orleans Strait and came very close to the Antarctic Peninsula at about 63° 45' S. Later in his life, Palmer also won wealth and fame
Around McMurdoAround McMurdoAround McMurdo

Natural wind carved sea ice.
as a pioneer clipper ship master and designer.

Installed Power: 12,720 Horsepower from four Caterpillar Diesels

Ice-breaking capability: rated at 3 feet of ice at 3 knots

Length Overall: 308 Feet (93.9 Meters)

Breadth (Molded): 60 Feet (18.3 Meters)

Depth: 22.5 Feet (6.9 Meters)

Maximum Draft (Loadline): 19.417 (5.9 Meters)


Lawrence H. Gianella
The Lawrence H. Gianella is a United States Military Sealift Command product tanker which typically carries diesel, gasoline, and JP5 (jet fuel). Its reinforced bow allows it to make the yearly fuel delivery to McMurdo Station in Antarctica:
Specifications:
Displacement 39,624 t.(fl)
Length 615'
Beam 90'
Draft 24' 8" (mean)
Speed 16 kts.
Complement 24
Cargo Capacity 237,766 bbls
Armament none
Propulsion 1 Sulzer 5RTA 76 diesel; 18,400 hp sustained; 1 shaft











Additional photos below
Photos: 225, Displayed: 40


Advertisement

Around McMurdoAround McMurdo
Around McMurdo

Sunset on Ross Island, Antarctica.
Around McMurdoAround McMurdo
Around McMurdo

Aurora, McMurdo Antarctica.
Around McMurdoAround McMurdo
Around McMurdo

Looking out the cab of the forlift I am driving in the McMurdo cargo yard.
Karl photoKarl photo
Karl photo

Karl dressed for below zero work day.
Karl photoKarl photo
Karl photo

Karl in condition 1, securing cargo at ice air field. Today's temp. was a balmy -57 deg. F.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

Preparing to load cargo on a C-130. Yellow hoses hanging from engines are to keep the engines warm.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

Looking across ice runway at light refraction of land mass about 65 miles away.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

C-130 flying over ice runway.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

I have just pushed a sled up to the tail of a C-17 to receive more than one pallet with oversized items.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

C-17 cargo door open, and an oversized item starting to roll onto the sled.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

Over sized item has completely departed the C-17 and is now on the sled being tied down, before I move the sled away from the aircraft.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

Four C130's parked with observation hill in the background.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

Same four parked C130\'s. See the blue ice. This is why it is called an ice runway/airfield. The airfield is actually about 12 feet thick and is floating on the ocean.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

C-17 being off loaded by large forklift with observation hill and part of McMurdo in background.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

I am in line with my forklift to receive cargo from back of C-17 on the ice airfield. McMurdo is in the background.
Ice airfieldIce airfield
Ice airfield

C-17 just landing on ice runway. Mountains in background are about 65 miles away.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb