Icebergs


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » Davis Station
January 16th 2012
Published: January 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

16th January

half Moon Island, Decepcion Island, South Shetland Island.

Yesterday was a blue day – perfect for photographs and we saw the most majestic scenery in bright sunlight. There were whales, penguins a plenty and seals to photography and most of the people on board spent the whole day outside. Needless to say there were sunburnt faces last night. No protection from pollution here. We cruised past two research stations down the passage ways to Decepcion Island, the South Shetland Island, Half Moon and Livingstone Island. The sea is full of small icebergs that the ship is negotiating and gently pushing aside and avoiding the huge ones that look like white/blue palaces in fairytales. Photography does not do credit to what we are seeing but I’ve taken hundreds of images. Last night, being a clear night I hoped to see the stars but as it was still very light at 12.15 am it was impossible.

Remembering the people on deck at night in the film Titanic – I can tell you it’s a big con. It is b***** freezing outside, especially later at night. You wouldn’t venture out in a strappy dress for love nor money – well perhaps money…..



Today the captain woke us at 7.30 am to see the Argentinian research station which is next door to a huge penguin colony of Adele penguins. They smell must be atrocious at the station – its fairly pungent out here on the ship. You don’t think about penguins as smell but they are. We are weaving in and out of massive tabletop icebergs the size of mountains on the move. I am told this is the last time this shipping line is ever going to be allowed in Antarctic. They are putting a stop to cruise liners down here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb