Mas Antarctica


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » Brown Station
January 29th 2023
Published: January 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Placed foot on the actual continent about 9:30a on 29 January. Chatted with a ton of Adelie Penguins, irritated an elephant seal, and snapped a pix of a large bird. Recall this is a second home (summer use only) for these folks. Took us two days to cross a very rough Drake Passage before arriving. None of these guys travel on a comfortable cruise ship. As we proceed south the ice and snow becomes deeper, although the temp has not appreciable changed since we've been in Antarctica, hoovers around freezing. It does snow each day, although accumulation is light.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Somewhere To GoSomewhere To Go
Somewhere To Go

Couple of penguins quickly marching to destination.
Big BirdBig Bird
Big Bird

Someone told us the name of this bird, but we forgot. Do know the thief circles over poor penguins in attempt to steal from them.
Breeding GroundBreeding Ground
Breeding Ground

Yes, there are a few penguins here. The population continues up the hill in the distance.
VentureVenture
Venture

Our ship, Seabourn Venture, with penguins again having somewhere to go.
Elephant SealElephant Seal
Elephant Seal

Seals do not come much larger than this fella, well at least his species. They can reach twenty feet in length with a weight of almost 4.5 tons. This guy is a bit annoyed with me, so I quickly found another place to be.
Gotta Make the MeetingGotta Make the Meeting
Gotta Make the Meeting

We are informed Adelie Seals are constantly in motion. Sure were here.
Same DudeSame Dude
Same Dude

Looking back at me with wonder as to why I'm just standing around.
Twin PeaksTwin Peaks
Twin Peaks

Ship passed smallish iceberg with Bird requesting a picture.
Where Is Everyone?Where Is Everyone?
Where Is Everyone?

This is actually a large iceberg, and should you look closely there is a penguin. He was running back and forth on this part of the berg leaving us with the impression of a lost kid.
Small GlacierSmall Glacier
Small Glacier

Several small glaciers around this bay. Liked this one.
Glacier Number Two With UFOGlacier Number Two With UFO
Glacier Number Two With UFO

Notice the UFO in the foreground. Actually, this is a sub; the ship has two. We will take a ride on one in a few days.
Tabular IcebergTabular Iceberg
Tabular Iceberg

This hunk of ice broke off from the ice shelf. They can be of enormous size and are characterized by flat tops and vertical sides.


Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb