Etosha National Park


Advertisement
Africa
October 25th 2016
Published: October 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We are in Etosha National Park now and you wouldn't believe the heat. It went up to 49 degrees centigrade today. While out we saw loads of zebra, elephants, lions, jackals, all sorts of antelope and birds. At the water holes most of these animals are there together drinking. We went to the floodlit water hole at the camp site tonight and saw black rhino, lions, hyenas, jackals and elephants. There was a very little baby elephant as well. Unfortunately this afternoon a giraffe slipped at the water hole and drowned because it couldn't get up. Apparently they dragged it out with a Landover and the body was left near the water hole. Lucky lions. I'm glad I wasn't there to see it because I would have been over that barrier in a flash and in the water holding its head up! That would have meant two meals for the lions.

In the Etosha pan there is miles and miles of sand ... as far as the eye can see at this time of the year.

We're getting up at 5.45 tomorrow to try and get away early so we can have breakfast by a water hole and watch the animals.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi River, ZimbabweSunset Cruise on the Zambezi River, Zimbabwe
Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi River, Zimbabwe

A wonderful sunset cruise when we saw large numbers of hippo, some crocodiles, elephants and some beautiful birds including bee eaters, kingfishers and a Paradise Flycatcher. A trip never to be forgotten and my favourite picture of all being the hippos caught in the liquid gold light of the sunset.


14th November 2016
Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi River, Zimbabwe

Sunset Cruise on the Zambezi river, Zimbabwe
We had travelled into Zimbabwe from Botswana to visit Victoria Falls, which was wonderful. In the evening we went on a brilliant sunset cruise where we boarded with African dancing and music to see us on our way and with snacks and drinks included. Time was taken to ensure that we viewed the elephants, crocodiles, beautiful birds and numerous hippos on the way and our hosts were informative, helpful and a delight to be with. I am absolutely thrilled that my favourite photo was chosen as Photo of the Week.

Tot: 0.772s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb