Cape Town Part II


Advertisement
Africa
September 26th 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After an amazing day of touring South Africa's vineyards the trip continued on...

Our next venture was a peninsula tour with our much acclaimed favorite company: Cape Wine and Leisure Tours. We were once again picked up from our hotel after breakfast to begin yet another field trip. We began our route from our hotel in Bantry Bay and headed south along a stretch of beaches until arriving at the base of a breathtaking shoreline. Waves of teal and blue crashed against the edged rocks and above us stood the Twelve Apostles mountain range. Table Mountain is at the northern end of a sandstone mountain range that forms the spine of the Cape Peninsula. On the Atlantic coast of the peninsula, the range is known as the Twelve Apostles. The range continues southwards to Cape Point, the most southern tip of Africa. The base of the range had such a "wow" effect on my eyes. It was crazy beautiful. As I stared out into the Atlantic, I wondered if I'd ever return to normal life again...

We continued traveling down the coast on the mountain's winding roads. We passed sheets of blue ripples on our right and watched some surfers catch waves while Southern Wright whales and possibly sharks lurked close to the shoreline. And for a head's up to beachgoers - the method used in these beaches is delegating a person as a lookout at the top of the cliff equipped with binoculars and a walkie talkie. If any sharks are spotted, they advise the lifeguard on duty down below. They're known as the "Shark Man" or "Lady". Go figure how well that works out!

The coast was a rocky row of brown and beige. As we touched ground we ran towards the shoreline. Being spring time, the air is still cool and the water is...well, freezing. As tempted as it seemed, there would be NO swimming for me. May have to return in December when summer finds its way back to the Cape.

Along the coast we made constant stops...the backdrop being irresistable. Passing Long Beach and finally reaching the peak of Hout's Bay, we stood out on the lookout point surrounded by a bowl of blue water and lush cliffs. From this level, Cape Town seemed like a made-up village. Just like little micro-machines. We continued down until reaching the Cape Peninsula Park which is managed by the South African National Parks. Within the park is the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve which is recognized around the world for its incredible and distinguished land formation, diverse wildlife, and the unique natural landscape. Nowhere else in the world does an area of such spectacular beauty and such rich biodiversity exist almost within a metropolitan area... the cosmopolitan city of Cape Town. Now within the park, we ventured down to the Cape of Good Hope. This Cape is one of the main tourist attractions of Cape Town, being one of the great capes of the South Atlantic Ocean. Fleeing past the greyhound buses filled with tourists and their cameras, we took it all in...and were quick to get out of the way...

At the tip of the Cape Peninsula, just southwest of Cape Town lies Cape Point, a nature reserve within the Table Mountain National Park; a declared Natural World Heritage Site. Rugged rocks and sheer cliffs towering high above the sea and cutting deep into the ocean provide a spectacular background for the Parks’ rich bio-diversity. Cape Point falls within the southern section of Table Mountain National Park. The natural vegetation fills the cliffs with color and life.
Not to mention the teal blue water beneath it all.

History lesson for y'all...In the 1800's the first lighthouse was erected at Cape Point. However, due to its high location above sea level, it was often obscured by clouds and mist. When a Portuguese ship was wrecked in the 1900's, the lighthouse was relocated to its current position above Dias Point, closer to sea level. Rocky tiers of steps allow you to explore your way to the top for a better look of the cape where the lighthouse stands. Once at the top (take a breath before you go...maybe a little stretch too) the view will not let you down! At such a height I was surrounded by pure sky and water. I felt like I was floating through the clouds. Gazing down at the fishing ships, we spotted more whales off the coastline. They were massive bodies of black next to the tiny ships, but seemed so peaceful as they floated along the edge as a family.

From this point is was time to wine and dine so we headed around the peninsula towards Simons Town stopping for lunch at Kalk Bay. This fishing village, with a natural harbour is a buzz with local fisherman, bohemian shopping, antiques, crafts and superb restaurants. With plenty of local eateries, we stopped at Harbour House next to the pier for some fresh seafood and sushi. The restaurant was designed with a beach-like feel adorned with fresh flowers on every table and sea shells as the centerpieces. As the restaurant sits over the water, one can actually watch the waves crash along the rocks as seals surface around the pier for their daily appetizers of fish and bait scraps. Sip a glass of white wine with your meal and enjoy the laid back atmosphere of it all.

Once full and re-energized the next stop was Boulder's Penguin Colony. Boulders Beach is world famous for its colony of African penguins that have been living here since the 1980's. We entered Boulders National Coastal Park for a small fee. Here you can see the birds from specially designed board walks. The African penguins were not big. Their characteristic feature is a black stripe curving across the top of their chest. We watched them waddle down the coast in groups. We were told these penguins are "steady in love" and have the same partner for years. (They may actually be able to teach us something 😉...

Continuing on up the coast we drove through Muizenberg. Although the waves arent big, this beach town is largely known for its surfing and body boarding. Its a laid back seaside town on the shores of False Bay which comes alive in the summer, with people crowding its streets as they make their way down to what is probably Cape Town’s nicest swimming beach. Here we were lucky to spot several Southern Right Whales down below. With binoculars we even saw the mother whale breach.

So mesmerizing.

As the sun began setting we reached the base of Table Mountain. This plateau is a flat-topped mountain overlooking the city of Cape Town. We jumped in the last cable car as it departed to the top at an unexpected fast pace! No time to get comfortable because this cable car spins around slowly so that everyone aboard gets a view of the mountain from every angle. Once at the top we were able to experience one of the most unbelievable sunsets I think I've ever seen. We walked along the mountain top overlooking the city as it changed to night. The city lights were just tiny specks of white. By now the weather had dropped drastically but it didnt bother me at all. The climb had been well worth it.

I found a spot on some rocks and shot pictures of the pinkish sky. It was truly beautiful. And to think I had almost opted for a camel ride instead of this scene!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb