Fish River Canyon


Advertisement
Africa
August 18th 2010
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Fish River Canyon, Namibia


After leabing Maun in Botswana we drove west and south for three days to take us to the stunning Fish River Canyon. The driving was easy but tedious; long, long straight roads that seem to never end. The towns in Namibia are small and seem quite soulless, fortunately the stunning scenery in places makes up for them.

The canyon is absolutely beautiful, supposedly second in size to the Grand Canyon in the US and bears a lot of similarities. You're not permitted to do day walks into the canyon but the walks along the top, stopping to take inthe views were excellent. Spent a whole day there, watched the sunset over the rim, lovely.

That was at the north end of the canyon, at the south end there is a very nice recently rennovated lodge where we camped and made full use of their hot pools. As well as enjoying a good soak and the grassy campground (only the third in the trip, the rest have been dust), we did a walk along the Fish River for a few hours although no real canyon at that end. Saw wild gerbils and another new antelope, the klipspringer that bounces up very steep rock faces. A very pleasant and relaxing couple of days.

Next we headed north to the Naukluft-Namib Park

Advertisement



18th August 2010

Hi Amanda. Greetings from grey, wet Auckland. I am really enjoying your blogs-I have never hear of half the places you're visiting so it's all new and interesting to me. Looking forward to the next entry.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb