Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia


Advertisement
Africa
August 3rd 2010
Published: August 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia

Stage 3 of the trip took us from Dar es Salaam in Tanzania to Livingstone at the bottom of Zambia. We had been warned that this part of the trip involved a lot of travel and it was largely a commute rather than seeing anything in particular. In a certain sense this was true, however visiting Lake Malawi and spending time in Livingstone were exception to this rule.

Two days of driving from the Indian Ocean to the African interior had left us pretty tired. Particularly as on the first day the truck ran out of diesel and we had to wait for 3 hours on the side of the road for it to be re-fuelled, and then later we were caught up behind a serious traffic accident. Nevertheless we eventually arrived at Chichimba Beach on the shores of Lake Malawi, and after one night here, went on to Kande Beach. We spent two days at Kande Beach, sitting on the beach, playing volleyball, swimming and relaxing. Our next stop took us away from Lake Malawi, up into the hills to a place called the Luwawa Forest. We spent two nights here doing forest walks
African DrivingAfrican DrivingAfrican Driving

The red dot at the front of the smashed up truck is what is left of a car!
and chilling out in front of the fire, before we headed to Zambia.

Zambia flew by far too quickly. In two days we were at Livingstone in the south of the country, not really feeling like we had seen or done anything of note (apart from adding Harry to our clan). Nevertheless we had a couple of days in Livingstone to relax and to see the major draw in this part of the world: Victoria Falls. At Livingstone the Zambezi River forms the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Victoria Falls is located on the Zambezi and as well as going to see the falls themselves, you can do all number of different activities nearby. So after spending the first day visiting the falls close up and getting drenched (they produce quite a lot of spray); Tracy and I opted to see them from the sky a couple of days later. We only had 15 minutes in the helicopter, but it was awesome. The view of the falls was outstanding, and on the way back we swung by a small game park and managed to see elephants, hippos, giraffes and crocodiles from the sky too. Between arriving in town and the flight we also watched as some other people on the trip throw themselves off Victoria Falls Bridge. Tracy and I were happy to take photos and video, but was still an amazing sight, and as half the bridge was in Zimbabwe, we also crossed the border (albeit briefly) into that country too! That night we had a sunset cruise along the Zambezi before lots of drinks late into the night!

Now to Botswana!

Hope all are well

Will and Tracy xxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb