7th March - Tutor Rich has his say


Advertisement
Africa
March 8th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

SUNDAY 7 MARCH 2010
Tutor blog
Hello everyone, Rich Davies here, lead tutor for the Uganda project. But enough about me. Who are the rest of the group?
Scott, our project leader. An extremely good organiser of everybody else but forgets to organise himself. Always 10 minutes late, hence, “Where’s Scott, here in 10 minutes”
Mike, experience of CWB project in Botswana last year means he isn’t fazed by the vast number of children that arrive every day. He has discovered that a Ugandan power shower consists of running around the shower catching the drips.
Veronika, Mike’s wife, hasn’t had time to organise everybody’s water as she did in Botswana, as the number of children each day keeps her very busy many wanting a hug. She has taken a particular shine to luminous drinks in the nightclubs.
Clare is a really bubbly Irish lass. Her teams are always the loudest, winning or losing. Her tremendous enthusiasm did get the better of her as she got us all off the bus to look at zebras behind a hedge she had spotted only to find out they were concrete. But she has seen a real one now.
Joanne, our Kiwi. Quietly going around Uganda teaching every child she comes across to bowl. My fault, I forgot to move her to another skill. She smiled broadly as she stepped across the Equator into the Southern hemisphere, a step nearer to her homeland.
Mark, his experience coaching children back home shines through over here. He keeps Tom updated on all Leeds football and rugby scores. He has admitted to his most satisfying moment of all time was his left handed run out. Surprising as he is about to get married.
Parry, CWB’s own Barmy Army. Regular chants from the front of the bus as he took over directing our superb driver Joseph (nicknamed Tyrone) to drive into every pothole and even go back to ones he had missed. Details of his upset stomach may be published at a later date.
Tom, the junior pro of the project. First time leaving the shores of the UK and is breezing it. He is very comfortable with adults and children alike, large numbers well controlled. All Ugandan children now believe a shout of howzat is eh-up in a broad Yorkshire accent.
A tremendous help are the Ugandan Cricket Association’s travelling with us. Chief liason officer is John, William overseeing our methods and Charles and Fred, current Ugandan cricketers, helping the volunteers with the children and allowing Mark and Parry to get their first overseas wickets in our knockabout matches.
Richard Davies (PS Photo of Clare to follow when one can be found when she is not talking)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb