Chicken every Sunday


Advertisement
Africa
January 29th 2010
Published: January 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Once upon a time in a far off land on a dark and stormy night...No, that is not right. We are never out after dark!! But, here is the real story. This week we wanted to have Fr. Clements and Stefano over for dinner...a typical American menu...pizza (allbeit vegetarian), beer or coke, and brownies. We had a nice visit and they were so appreciative of the Monstrance sent from our Carmel Mission Parish to St. Theresa's Parish. When given to the congregation after Mass, everyone clapped and the women did their uluations...sounds of joy! The church has never had one and has always had to borrow one from Lushoto, not very convenient. As I'm sure I've said before, we have found Tanzanians to be very religious. In our village about 1/3 Luthern, 1/3 RC, and 1/3 Muslim. And, the best part is that everyone gets along.
So, back to my story. When they drove up on Fr. Clement's piki-piki (motorcycle) Fr. handed us a cardboard box. The numerous air holes cut in the box should have given us a clue. As he handed it off to us he said, "Happy New Year." All I could see were some brown feathers, but I could hear scratching from within. We did not know that this was an extra special present. When I opened the box a really BIG rooster complete with bright red comb, long sharp talons, and black beady eyes was starring at me. Naturally I closed the lid quickly and said most (or almost) sincerely, "Assante sana". Then I handed with haste to Dave and said "Here." How was I to know this was a culturally appropriate gift. Dave placed it outside and we enjoyed pizza and pleasantries.
The rooster enjoyed an evening off with no hens or foxes to worry about. At 5.15 a.m. we heard out next door neighbor's rooster like clockwork just doing his thing. Then, from closer to our bedroom, we heard a new "coockle-doodle-do" A different range-perhaps a basso profundo. Someone had been left outside in the cold in a box!
Well, PC doesn't want us raising chickens and 1 rooster is enough new door, so what wlse to do, but to give him the axe! Well, NOT ME! So I went over to Mama next door and with limited Kiswahili and numerous gestures, I handed her the box. Upon return from school Mama handed me a bowl containing (you guessed it) a cut up and cooked cock. Yea, dinner was done. Dave quickly peeled, cooked, and mashed potatoes while I steamed broccoli. Our feast was on the table with candles lit. Welllllll, the look on Dave's face after he had served himself was impossible to describe. There on his plate was the cooked head! Probably the best of the rooster as savored by Tanzanians, but into the garbage it went. The comb would have been tough to chew, I think. The dogs who frequent the garbage pit were delighted and Dave carefully selected a breast. It was a delicious and delightful dinner...one which we won't forget.
Thank goodness our family sends us breat of chicken all cooked and wrapped in foil, not feathers. Tomorrow will be another adventure. love, Dave and Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb