Back in Kumasi


Advertisement
Africa
July 13th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wren again: After a very long, tiring bus ride, we are back in Kumasi. We left Cape Coast on Saturday at 1:30 and at about 5 the bus began smoking so we had to stop and wait on the side of the road. While we waited we made friends with some little kids who watched us intently from across the road. After a while we noticed that two of the boys were copying our movements, crossing their arms when we did and putting their hands on their hips when we did. Then one of the littlest boys put both his hands on his hips and started wiggling back and forth. And so we did it back. The whole thing escalated and we ended up teaching about 7 of them the macarena from across the road without ever talking (don't worry we got this on video!). We waited for about 4 hours and, to amuse ourselves, we sang rounds and talked to our bus friends. By the time we got home (around 10:40), we were exhausted and went straight to bed. The next day was very relaxed. We slept in, then went to the market and bought food for dinner. Our woodworking friend, Obeng, came over to talk and hang out. Sam started playing the bones and showing him how to clog, both of which he was fascinated by. We cooked and had dinner and Rachel gave us lindy hop lessons (which Ralph refused to participate in).

This morning, we made some very make-shift french toast, which turned out better than our last attempt (which Rachel accidently put salt on instead of sugar). Then we went to visit the Okess Boarding School. Martin (a biology teacher there), had aproached Sam on the road when he saw him collecting bees and invited him to come speak to his students. At school, we were introduced to countless teachers, the headmaster, and the assistant headmaster before we were sat in front of the classroom that contained at least 70 high school students. After a prayer from one of the students, Sam talked about bees, etc. and students asked him lots of questions (very sophisticated ones like "How does the mental process of bees compare to that of humans?"). We (the girls) also offered to answer questions and got lots about American schools, cheating, universities, and even some about the child's rights movement in the US. Every once in a while something the teacher or a student said would set the class off and a chaotic uproar would follow - laughing, talking, and lots of sssss's (which is like saying "shhh" in the US). It was a great experience for us, and I think that it was really special for the students as well because any speakers or visitors from the states staying in Kumasi get taken to the very elite, top schools (if to any at all). We got a huge number of emails and addresses and hope to maybe start a pen pal/cultural exchange with South River (our school) and Okess.

Rachel, Anna, and Ralph have set off to buy fabric and get it made into dresses (for Rachel and Anna, not Ralph). And when they return, we will be off to the lake near Kumasi! We leave tomorrow for Accra and will be homeward bound on the 15th. (We'll try to get another entry in, but it may not happen).

P.S. Sorry about the margins, Bobby. I don't know how to fix them. And Kappy, I can email you the address for the Spanish teacher, but Stu can also email her at kpackal@aacps.org.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb