Up and Over


Advertisement
Africa
January 27th 2020
Published: January 27th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Day 8. 27thJan

We left our hotel at 7:30 having packed our bags and left them in our rooms. Walked to the card eating bank near Bahia Palace and waited 5 mins for it to open. Michael told the guy that the machine had eaten my card (in French) and, after producing my passport, he went to a small pile of ‘em and found mine! Phew! We left at 8:05 sorted.

Stopped at a French-style cafe for 2 pancakes with butter & honey each and +2 croissants for Michael, plus 2 coffees (80dh - €8). Then back to Hotel to collect bags and walked to main road where we soon caught a Grand Taxi to the CTM Coach Station (30Dh). My hold-luggage had to be scanned and a label attached as at airports! Then we went to the cafe for another coffee where we were given small bottles of water free! At 10 to 10 we went to the waiting area and around 10 got on the bus which left at 10:10 (it was a 10 sort of day) with me hoping that my bag had been put on board…

Took a rather convoluted route out of town along the nice new dual carriageways with palms down the centre & sides. Many roundabouts, rather like Milton Keynes! After a few miles of this I saw the signs for Ouarzazate so knew we were on the right bus (!) After an hour we began the climb up the snow-topped mountains which we had seen getting closer and closer. There were absolutely massive road-works all across the Atlas, huge diggers cutting their way into the sides, others with big drills breaking up the boulders above us (we were stopped at one time with a driller working right above us – I was most relieved when we moved forward!)at one point other diggers were pushing masses of boulders down the hill above us. The whole road seems to be being upgraded to at least 3 lanes, with huge drains being put in too, to stop the road washing away. After another hour and a half we were still crossing the tops, coming right up to the snow-line, amazing views up to the snowy tops and down into the barren valleys below. After yet another hour and a half we were descending into warmth and stopped at the small town of Amerzgane for a half hour break. We just got off to stretch our legs and use the loo, me being asked for a fag as I was using my vaporiser.

Eventually we reached Ouarzazate (pronounced Warzazate) and bought out tickets to Taroudant for the 30th whilst we were at the coach station (120Dh each). Outside some guy came up to us asking if we wanted a taxi, then another guy appeared and had an argument with him, turned out the 1st guy was a middle man trying to earn a Dirham or 20 - they nearly came to blows. We got to our hotel (30Dh) which is very nice, much different from our dive in Marrakech (although we quite enjoyed it there). Here we have our own sort of house in a vast complex with many other similar “rooms”, there is a room downstairs but we have the 2 rooms upstairs, mine has a balcony, both are en-suite. We have satellite TV (mostly N.African + a Kurdish one & one channel (so far) in English – mostly macho action flix (Michael wants a French one as he is brushing up his French which is widely spoken here). There is an air-con but I bet it’s not working! I had to go back to reception for the wi-fi password and then started on this.

Just been to a nice French Fish Restaurant just down the road from hotel; before we ordered we were given a basket of bread, a large bowl of olives, some hot chilli sauce, a bowl each of some hot lentil broth and another of lovely sautéed aubergines. We were full up before the main course arrived! Such were the freebees. My main was some nicely sautéed, grilled white fish with salad and chips (with mustard and tomato sauce) I left most of my salad as should not be eating it (not sure of water it’s washed in) but my fish was delicious. Michael had a seafood platter with various fish, some calamari, large prawns and salad. We fed scraps, secretly, to the few cats hanging around.

Now home with the air-con full blast as it’s a bit nippy here at night. ‘Twas quite hot when we arrived (with our overcoats on) – about 24C I reckon. We are quite close to those snowy peaks still.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



31st January 2020

Moroccan Adventures
Loving all the updates and fabulous photos just as India feel like we’re on the journey too! Keep safe ,enjoy the remaining time and respect google it’s always watching ?xx?xx
8th February 2020

Loving all the updates and fabulous photos just as India feel like we’re on the journey too! Keep safe ,enjoy the remaining time and respect google it’s always watching ?xx?xx

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb